MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Transmission T-5 Nosie (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/645053-transmission-t-5-nosie.html)

stanglx2002 06-17-2011 07:57 AM

Transmission T-5 Nosie

I have been getting a chattering noise coming from my 1st gear. Thats the only gear that is giving me problems. It goes into gear and drives no problem but it chatters and the shifter shakes really bad. Once you go into any other gear its fine. There is side to side movement when in first and not in any other gear.

Does this sound like a low fluid problem?
Shifter problem?
Transmission problem?

AdderMk2 06-17-2011 08:04 AM

checking your fluid in this situation is pretty much a no brainer... I don't think we really need to suggest that to you.

other than that, your options are pretty much limited to pulling the trans out, opening it up... and inspecting for damage!

holyshift 06-17-2011 08:56 AM

Pull the tranny.

stanglx2002 06-17-2011 09:03 AM

I dont know anything about a tranny. I guess just open up the top cover and look in???

AdderMk2 06-17-2011 10:22 AM

perhaps you should take it to a pro... I dont care to sit here and explain how to disassemble a T5, especially when there is a full PDF available on tremec's website

mjr46 06-17-2011 11:37 AM

pulling the top requires removing the shifter block and tailshaft housing, if you are unsure of the process or your ability, leave it to a pro

stanglx2002 06-17-2011 11:54 AM

I have been making calls to shops around. They are saying it sounds like a syrnco or a bearing going bad. i guess i will be buying a rebuild kit and sending to a shop to be fixed

AdderMk2 06-17-2011 12:37 PM

might want to let the shop get the rebuild kit... some places dont like using other peoples parts. If something goes wrong with the trans, because of a part installed that YOU supplied, it isn't their problem.

Case in point, I installed some brakes for a customer... after strongly suggesting that they NOT use the bottom of the line pad that Autozone sells (their parts, not mine). When the pads cracked, and the friction material broke off... the customer got mad at ME like it was MY fault! Then proceeded to get upset when I wouldnt warranty THEIR parts.

They wised up the second time around and let me put MY brand of parts in the car. Four oil changes later when they needed a new belt... They didn't even question me, and went with my parts. Some people need to learn the hard way...

mjr46 06-17-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by stanglx2002 (Post 7586084)
I have been making calls to shops around. They are saying it sounds like a syrnco or a bearing going bad. i guess i will be buying a rebuild kit and sending to a shop to be fixed

not a syncro problem, bearing maybe.....I'd look for something broken or pieces lying on the bottom of the case from something also I'd inspect 1 st gear or the teeth that mesh with it on the counter gear or the plastic bearing cage that 1st slides over and or the suface of the gear they ride on. personally, I'd take it to a mustang guru, not any old tranny place such as ammco, ect ect

stanglx2002 06-17-2011 01:02 PM

What and where is a goos place to get just a new transmission. These guys around hear are quoting me $1000 to rebuild the tranny. I can get a new one for close to that.