5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Headers and Exhaust..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Sparky73
1st Gear Member

Default Headers and Exhaust..?

On the 94/95 Mustang GT with the 5.0, First off..does the Flowmaster 40 series (American Thunder) cat-back system sound good? Second..would it be too loud without Cat's..well..how loud?

Next, I know nothing really about headers. What would be the best for performance/sound? Shorty, Long, Equal, Unqual..brands?

How would YOU go about creating an exhaust for the best perform/sound with aftermarket headers, and new exhaust?

One more thing..Is it better to get to pipes going straight back from the headers, or go with a X-Pipe, or and H-Pipe?

Sorry about all the questions, but im just REALLY getting into this stuff.

TIA-Jon Samuel
Old 09-01-2005, 07:47 PM
gotboost
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Headers and Exhaust..?

flowmasters and a xpipe are loud but i dont think its to loud to where you cant drive it on the street. Also you sort of get use to it after a while. although im not sure what kind of flows the ones i heard were.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:04 PM
JoHnNy sAvAgE
2nd Gear Member

I'm running my 90gt with an off road h-pipe and 2chamber flows(40 series) it sounds real deep and good. Not even close to being too loud. As for you ? about whether going straight back or an x,h pipe you NEED an h,x pipe. It will run alot better and you'll have more power.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

For best performance and sound from your headers, get Longtubes (BBK, MAC, KOOK, HOOKER) are all good brands..you can get straight pipes..but it would be wild loud, and TOTALLY illegal..get an H pipe (catted if you have emmissions where you are) flowmasters are populare but BEWARE..there is a horrible drone at 2000-2200 RPM with flows..and they sound very tinny and hollow with no catalytic converters
Old 09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Careful with longtube headers if running mostly on the street. Most of the HP gains with longtubes are at high rpm, like 4-5000 and up. How often does one run that high on the street?

I read more than one article that shows, for street cars, that the shorty headers outperform the longtubes at rpms where you normally run street cars (2-3500 rpm). And most of those found no difference between the unequal or equal length shorties.
All aftermarket ones did perform better than the stock ones though...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

Funny nhdungeonracer..I've read article that state that you lose HP with shorties up to like 5000 rpm or somethin..whatever dont feel like doing a Longtube vs. Shortie battle again...but overall longtubes give you the most power gain through all rpm's and give you a much deeper, more agressive sound than shorties will
Old 09-01-2005, 10:50 PM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Yea ive heard the same thing with short tubes. I heard you actually loose torque with some of them and they only give 8 to 12 hp. Long tubes on the other hand give 25-30hp and sound way more bad ***.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:01 PM
lunchbox99
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: seanjohncombs001

Yea ive heard the same thing with short tubes. I heard you actually loose torque with some of them and they only give 8 to 12 hp. Long tubes on the other hand give 25-30hp and sound way more bad ***.

I put equal lenght shorties on my 94, didnt really hear a difference over the stock manifolds/headers
But the engine seems to like them.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

LTs arent worth the hassle or the money right now.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Sparky73
1st Gear Member

Alright well I'm starting to understand. I don't really care about how loud it is, I just want it Really Deep, and make sure it sounds like it has a crap-load of power! So I know I would probably want to go with Longtube headers, and into either an X or an H pipe..but I still dont know which is really better? As for Cats, here in Michigan, they dont really care too much..but is it really worth it taking them off? Does it sound that much better/louder? If I decieded to install the exhaust system with the cats still on, how hard would it be to take them off at a later time if I wanted? After that I pretty much have it figured out, its just a matter of picking a Cat-Back system to install. Any recommendations? I know probably a Flowmaster 40, or an American Thunder..definatly not Delta. Should I try to go for a 2 or 3 chamber muffler?

Thanks for the help,
Jon Samuel

Quick Reply: Headers and Exhaust..?