5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help with new intake and plenum install

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 AM
duke46

Default Need help with new intake and plenum install

Well guys got my self into something new. I at 65 am old school before computers on Mustangs.

The guy brought me the newer setup for his 92 along with powder coating his other parts. Now the questions is how to hook up properly all the vacuum lines that are needed and do it right? We have more lines than the extra parts that came with this setup has. So will take any and all advice I can get and I guess head to the store and buy extra fittings.

This is what he bought me. And I think Summit also sell it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-0-E...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

any vac lines that are connected to the old manifold, get connected to the new one. Any unused ports, just get plugged. There isn't really a "right" way to do it, as long as you get them all connected up.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:48 AM
duke46

Thanks. Kind of what my son and I figured but wanted to just check.

My son also said that the injectors didn't seem like they wanted to go in as deep but were bottomed out? The driver side was not problem installing the bolts that hold the fuel rail on but the passenger side was a bear to try to twist and get the bolts started but did get them. Is that also one of the things you just have to do the best you can?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

dont force them, you will break the pintles. use a light coating of oil on the O-rings to get them seated nicely.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:05 PM
duke46

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
dont force them, you will break the pintles. use a light coating of oil on the O-rings to get them seated nicely.

Yep lubed them up and seated them with no problem. It was just the fuel rail and the holes in it and the holes in the intake that was the problem on just the one side. So we think that all are seated ok and now to do the rest of the pluming I guess and hope for the best

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
duke46

Default Really need help Now!

Ok got it all back together and got all the vacuums lines connected. The PVC is pulling off the one under the new plenum and the others are working off the plastic T off the back of the plenum that has a brass T to feed it and the other side feed the bigger vac line to the brake block on the fire wall.

Now when you go to start it you can crank all you want but the only my son found to make it start was to hold the gas to the floor and then left off it as soon as it does. The idle does great but if you try to give it gas it shuts off.

I put a code reader on it and it passed the engine off key on test. Can't do any more testing with it because the test with it running not right want work.

I put a vacuum gauge on it at the rear of them plenum. When it started up it very slowly made its way to 12 and then started back down to 5 or less " of vacuum.

Every thing is put on correct and torqued Unless we are overlooking something? My son said the brake peddle is very hard and I would say it would be with no vacuum.

The only thing that I know to do to find a vacuum leak is either use WD 40 or starting fluid. But with all the new powder coated stuff on this motor I don't think starting fluid is a good Idea? Got to test a small panel with it and see if it will damage the coating I guess.

Do any of you know of any problems with these new type intakes and plenums? He also added a new K&N type breather that comes with the chrome tube.

Need to get this ride back to the customer so I can put my can back in my garage.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 PM
meralley

I had a similar problem with my 1990 fox. It sounds like you might have a clogged vacuum line or the vacuum Tee could be clogged. If you left it open for a while sometimes bugs get in there and especially mud dabbers are a pain in the *** for anything left un-attended.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 PM
duke46

Thanks but what we have is either China Copy Kat Crap not made correct Or something not sealing correct. At 65 and know how to test for leaks on stuff that is easy to see and test this is what it has to be done I would think? But you can't see any thing worth a hoot with all this stuff on the motors now days hard to see what you can't see

So I told my son we are going to close off all vacuum lines then check the PCV and see if it is working if we are able to start the dag thing again? And then if no luck close all off and start the spray test I guess!

I did find out that the starting fluid did not bother the powder coating at all. You just need to use a cloth to clean where it went and right back to new again.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by duke46
Now when you go to start it you can crank all you want but the only my son found to make it start was to hold the gas to the floor and then left off it as soon as it does. The idle does great but if you try to give it gas it shuts off.
sounds like its flooding out at first. Holding the pedal to the floor puts the car in "flood clear" it basically stops the injectors from firing.

Pull the plugs, They are probably fouled.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 AM
duke46

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
sounds like its flooding out at first. Holding the pedal to the floor puts the car in "flood clear" it basically stops the injectors from firing.

Pull the plugs, They are probably fouled.
We will check them out. But the car was running good about three weeks ago when it was pulled into the garage to remove all the old stuff for coating and then put it all back along with the new intake and plenum. You can smell gas when you are trying to start it but with the proper vacuum not being there also has us puzzled?

Can you think of a reason that it would be flooding?

The only thing that has not been done is putting the water and antifreeze back in and installing a new belt. He changed a couple of pulleys to a new under drive type and his alternator adjuster (custom type) has some messed up threads and has to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Need help with new intake and plenum install