5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Axle Shaft Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Default Axle Shaft Issues

I bought a set of Alloy USA axles for my 8.8 build a couple months ago. I also have a 31 spline trac lok with carbon clutches. I bought new c clips and center pin from the local Ford dealer as well.

I was doing the final assembly yesterday and seated the c clips and tried to install the center pin, but it would not go. The button on the end of the shaft for the c clip seems to be about 1/16-3/32" too long.

Do I need a special center pin, or are my axles messed up? I was going to grind down the end of the shafts so I can install my pin, but I do't want to void my warranty.

Anyone have a suggestion for me? I tried calling summit today, but its the 4th of July and they are closed.

So much for getting my car on the ground this week
Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you dont have the axle seated completely. make sure the c-clip is not keeping the axle pulled out slightly.

DO NOT grind down the axles.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by Ninety5PoloZ
I bought a set of Alloy USA axles for my 8.8 build a couple months ago. I also have a 31 spline trac lok with carbon clutches. I bought new c clips and center pin from the local Ford dealer as well.

I was doing the final assembly yesterday and seated the c clips and tried to install the center pin, but it would not go. The button on the end of the shaft for the c clip seems to be about 1/16-3/32" too long.

Do I need a special center pin, or are my axles messed up? I was going to grind down the end of the shafts so I can install my pin, but I do't want to void my warranty.

Anyone have a suggestion for me? I tried calling summit today, but its the 4th of July and they are closed.

So much for getting my car on the ground this week
I had your identical set up. Did you compare the length of the axles side by side? If they are the same, I'm gonna agree w/ Adder that you don't have them seated all the way in. The carrier pin should slip right in.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:59 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

once the pin is in place, the axle should still have some in and out play. So I'd say you dont have it seated for sure!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Axles are seated correctly. Something is not right, both axles are seated and both axles are about 3/32 too long on the c clip side. I can shine a light inside and the c clip is tight up against the spider gear.

And I can't compare axles, I bought an empty housing and put everything together from there.

I'm going to take another look at it today, but I honestly think there is a problem with the axles, or the cross pin is wrong. But I had the parts guy look up a few different cross pins and he said that they are the same between 31 and 28 spline carriers
Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

he was very wrong. the cross shafts are NOT the same. They are significantly thicker for the 31 spline setup.

The bottom line is that something is not installed correctly. If you modify the axles, you are wasting your money and potentially endangering your life. I strongly suggest you re-evaluate your situation.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

compare axles to oems set up from there make sure you put the proper shim thickness for side gears, two thick will cause an issue mostly you would not be able to roll the spider gears back in, but if you got them in then is most likely is fine
Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
he was very wrong. the cross shafts are NOT the same. They are significantly thicker for the 31 spline setup.

The bottom line is that something is not installed correctly. If you modify the axles, you are wasting your money and potentially endangering your life. I strongly suggest you re-evaluate your situation.
What do you suggest? The carrier was set up correctly, I rebuilt it and everything went together flawlessly. The gears were setup by a professional, and the c clips are seated. I honestly do not know what to do at this point, other than to send the axles back and see if there is a problem with them.

I can understand if something wasn't setup correctly and one axle was sticking too far in, but when both are equally in too far......I'm saying there is a problem with the axles.

BTW the cross pin fits tightly in the carrier when the axles are removed. When I rebuilt the carrier I didn't use any shims that I recall, just what came in the box. And the spider gears went back in easily, a little firmer then with the wore out clutches, but they were SHOT
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

And I'm not disagreeing with you about the cross pin, I know these parts guys aren't the brightest, but it fits tight.

I'm just at a loss. All of the custom work I put into my car and a part thats suppose to be bolt in is where I have the issue
Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Well I called tech support and it turns out that Alloy makes the "button" on the c clip side oversized and is designed to be ground to fit. I should have gone with my gut and just ground them down and I could have had the axle in on Sunday. Oh well I needed lug nuts, and I ordered them last night. Hopefully next weekend I can get the fuel and brake lines run and get a start on the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Axle Shaft Issues