5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking for some T5 info

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Tig

Originally Posted by Mustangs4U
Awesome, I would like to see it too. I can't wait to change mine over. I miss my old T-5 and look forward to putting one in.
Found it, hopefully its not going against any forum rules. If so, pm me and I'll send it your way.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...procedure.html

Originally Posted by LS1fivepointO
I agree it's all driving style. My T5 held up for ages, although never really launched it that hard, and was always a little gentle on 3rd gear lol. I was always afraid of 3rd going on me.
How long did you have it?
So 3rd gear is a weak point? Why?

I dont plan any hard launches, since its going in my DD I need it last as long as possible.
Are there any 3rd gear upgrades available?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 PM
LS1fivepointO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tig
How long did you have it?
So 3rd gear is a weak point? Why?

I dont plan any hard launches, since its going in my DD I need it last as long as possible.
Are there any 3rd gear upgrades available?

Thanks
For 3 years. 2 of those years at 400whp 430wtq. But no track days and no real sticky tires. It held up for quite a lot of street races too

You can upgrade the entire tranny, Geforce and another company make gears etc.. for them.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
IMPOSSIBLE!!! ... Venomantidote95 couldnt even break out of the 12's with his...

i know!!! just imagine how slow he'd be with 4.10's...
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

As long as the engine is making under 250hp or so you'll be fine. I would highly recommend rebuilding it while its out and adding a aftermarket shifter to limit overtravel when shifting hard.

Now, assuming you get this all done. Bang the gears to your hearts content ***except*** third. When it come to third MAKE SURE its in gear before you release the clutch. I've personally ruined a T5 (in a 94GT) by trying to bang third as quickly as I did the 1-2 shift.

I've made over 200 passes down a drag strip in a 5.0L w/T5. They are tough enough to do the job. Just be respectful of 3rd and it'll hold up.

Regards,
Rich
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Tig

Originally Posted by LS1fivepointO
For 3 years. 2 of those years at 400whp 430wtq. But no track days and no real sticky tires. It held up for quite a lot of street races too

You can upgrade the entire tranny, Geforce and another company make gears etc.. for them.
Thats good news.
I have contacted G-Force, they have some quality parts. Huge gears to. I got in touch with them, a bit pricey but I think its worth it in the long run.

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
As long as the engine is making under 250hp or so you'll be fine. I would highly recommend rebuilding it while its out and adding a aftermarket shifter to limit overtravel when shifting hard.

Now, assuming you get this all done. Bang the gears to your hearts content ***except*** third. When it come to third MAKE SURE its in gear before you release the clutch. I've personally ruined a T5 (in a 94GT) by trying to bang third as quickly as I did the 1-2 shift.

I've made over 200 passes down a drag strip in a 5.0L w/T5. They are tough enough to do the job. Just be respectful of 3rd and it'll hold up.

Regards,
Rich
Good news here to, hah.
For now, its going to stay stock. I cant say the bolt-ons I add will increase the power that much where I have to worry about it.
Thanks for the explanation about 3rd. Gatcha.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Now, I just need to convince the wife. She doesnt now how to drive a car with a manual tranny. She's concerned if anything happens to our other car that she wont be able to drive the Mustang in case of an emergency. Thats a nice chunk o **** in the spokes. I need to convince her.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 AM
LS1fivepointO
1st Gear Member

Honestly I was always afraid of my T5 breaking, so I bought another one for $80, it's still sitting in my garage. A used one is so cheap it makes it worth it to have a spare just in case.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Tig

Thats true and a good idea. I wish I could find one for $80, if so, I'd build one instead of buy one.
If I do find one that cheap, I will buy it for a spare.

I had talked with a couple of people, one is an original/current owner of of 2 and another works for one of the venders. Both had said they are decent trannies. Just be carefull of 3rd gear. Make sure you're in gear before you let off of the clutch. Especially when driving more aggresive. I think the T5 will be fine, I wont be making any real power any time soon, so, it will do.

As for convinsing my wife. I dont think its going to take to much convinsing, hah.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tig
How many weak points does the T5 have?
about 300 LESS than an AOD

they arent what people make them out to be. 5k launches is what hurts them as long as it was built right...a crap rebuild might not last, but is still better than a AOD

3500 rpm launches on cheater slicks and you should be good til you break into the 11's

imo you'll break an axle b4 a t5, but ive broken a couple t5's, good thing is they are cheap and easy to fix
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I want one pretty bad. May be selling my Harley to get a conversion kit. May be the only way I will be able to get one.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangs4U
I want one pretty bad.
ive owned 3 5 speed 5.0's and 2 aod's

all else equal....in a t5 car.....you'll think you added 100 hp to it

read this.... http://www.westcoastmustangs.com/art...ap/t5swap.html

the swap is pretty easy (ive never done it) and not that expensive really. especially if you compare how much you'd spend to get into the new et bracket that you'll be in after the swap.

my slowest 5 speed was way faster than my fastest aod, hands down

Quick Reply: Looking for some T5 info