5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

airbag warning beeping...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default airbag warning beeping...

Hey guys, I know someone tried to explain to me where this was, but I still don't really get it. My airbag does not work, far too old, basically needs to be replaced, but I don't feel like spending $1000 for something I might never use. I'll replace it later, not now. For now, I want to stop that freakin airbag warning beep!!! It just beeps and beeps and beeps all while I'm driving. It's like YES, I KNOW IT DOESN'T WORK, NOW SHUT UP!!!

Anyway, does anyone know exactly where this noise comes from and how to deactivate it??

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:46 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: airbag warning beeping...

Try this.
Unhook the battery (to prevent airbag from "accidently" going off in your face)
Remove the airbag from the steering wheel. Unhook the 2 wires. Now, take a short wire, and run it from one side of the connector to the other on the 2 wires coming from the shaft (make a loop). This "might" trick the computer into thinking it's properly connected.
I'm not 100% sure this'll work, but I know it works for riding lawn mowers that shut off when you get off the seat. By running a jumper wire across, it'll stay running when you get off the seat.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:36 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

I would not compare a lawnmower saftey switch with a airbag control! Dont even guess about this topic. I went to a ford dealer about electrical problems i am having and they gave me a company that they get there shop manuals from helm inc. im buying the shop manual next week its 3,000 pages and $52. helm inc
Old 09-05-2005, 09:09 PM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

on my car, during the 5.0 upgrade, I ripped out all my efi stuff, and all the stuff for the airbag, the buzzer that makes the noise is located to the right of the steering wheel, a white box, if you take apart your lower dash, you will see it.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:18 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

I would not compare a lawnmower saftey switch with a airbag control! Dont even guess about this topic
If the airbag is DISCONNECTED, then there is no concern for it to "accidently" go off. And it's simple to disconnect, just unplug the plug. But I do recommend disconnecting the battery before disconnecting the airbag. Then if you make a jumper wire and jump across the 2 wires that come up the sterring shaft, you might fool the computer into thinking the airbag is there, and thus, it won't set off the buzzer.

Course, one should also realize by disconnecting the airbag, it won't be there to protect you in the event of an accident. But it didn't sound like this was a concern to the original poster.

Still, $52 for a manual that has over 3000 pages (must be a lot of info) is a good deal for ANYONE who tinkers on their own cars, especially if they plan to keep the car for awhile.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I think I will try unhooking the thing that does the buzzing sound first.

My airbag doesn't work anyhow, that's why it keeps buzzing, disconnecting it would make no difference in an accident, but I think I'll rather just disconnect the buzzer first before thinking about doing anything more permanent...

Thanks guys, I'll look into it.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

the airbag need to be seviced every 10 years then after that every 2 years, I wouldnt messareound with the airbags, just spend the money and have them fix it. Is your life really worth it?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Yah, when I get the money I will fix it. But for now, I just want to get rid of the annoying noise. Not to mention, pretty soon I should get another car to drive around, something along the lines of a take-home police cruiser, lol, and I'm pretty sure their airbags still work...
Old 09-09-2005, 05:57 AM
95whitecobra
2nd Gear Member

How do you know the air bag doesn't work. I didn't know you could test it unless you're in an accident. I know it works from a sensor located in front of the car and is set to deploy only if struck head on at 25 mph or more. I thought the warning chime meant the sensor was going bad. Mine got wet somehowe from very heavy rain and kept beeping constantly. Had the sensor changed and never had a beep since.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 PM
500XL

I recently swapped out my dash cluster and I thought I could unplug that airbag light in the cluster that has been blinking on & off for the past 5 years. Well when I plugged all back in besides for the light, I got the buzzing sound too. [:@] I ended up putting the light back in, and kept the annoying idiot light in full effect.

So what happens when they are serviced? Is it more or less just an electrical check to make sure all senors are in order in event of crash, or can they actually pull the bag & repack it?

And is there a way to kill the blinking light?

Quick Reply: airbag warning beeping...