5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power window won't go up

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
StevoX1
1st Gear Member

Default Power window won't go up

The passenger side window has been a little hesitant to go up recently when fully down, usually takes a couple clicks of the window control for it to go yet finally today she seized up, stuck in the door. Im curious as to if its the actual window control which i kinda doubt since neither controls on driver or passenger side work so im assuming the window motor finally gave out. Driver side window goes up fine but the passenger is shot.

Any suggestions on how to remedy the situation or just to get it back up for the time being would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by StevoX1; 07-30-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Start with the basics of your fuses, i doubt this is the case sense the driver side works but doesnt hurt to check.

If fuse is good then, key in run position, push the up side of the button and hit the bottom of the door with a rubber mallet. Alot of the time the brushes on the ford window motors will get some corrosion and stop working, hitting the bottom of the door will free the motor up to work for a short time(to get the window closed). If hitting the door gets the window to move then you need to replace the motor at your convenience.

If hitting doesnt work. Pull the switch out of the door. Using a test light make sure you have power into the switch and then check that you have power out when you hit the button. Should be one power in and two powers out, one for window up and one for window down. If the passenger door doesnt have this then say so and we can go from there.

If hitting doesnt work and power is good pull the door panel off and look at the regulator to see what is broken on it.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:55 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Mine just did this same thing about a month ago. Tore it all apart,found that power was getting to switches,etc. Smacked right were the motor is mounted with a hammer and it freed up. Dont know if it was in a bind or what but its been fine since. I dont roll my windows down all the way most of the time but its seemed to be ok.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by holyshift
Mine just did this same thing about a month ago. Tore it all apart,found that power was getting to switches,etc. Smacked right were the motor is mounted with a hammer and it freed up. Dont know if it was in a bind or what but its been fine since. I dont roll my windows down all the way most of the time but its seemed to be ok.
How is Norwalk doing? i haven't been this year. It sucks that there is no Ford race this year. By far my favorite track. NMRA was at Milan this year and the employees there are so friendly (sarcasm). I'm definitely not going to NMCA there.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
How is Norwalk doing? i haven't been this year. It sucks that there is no Ford race this year. By far my favorite track. NMRA was at Milan this year and the employees there are so friendly (sarcasm). I'm definitely not going to NMCA there.
Ehh Norwalk lately hasnt been so good,its all about the bracket racers,no heads up races,no index,no Ford race,no Chevy race....really I dont like going there any more. Just to test the car,have been trying to make it to Milan to race 11.0 index and enjoy some outlaw cars such as X275 and what have ya. I have heard ups and downs about Milan,but at least they have entertaining races to participate in and spectate.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

More than likely the nylon bushings in the motor are shot since you said it was getting sluggish. To remedy this remove the motor and take off the cover around the gear. Clean everything up and replace the bushings or put it 6 5/16" nuts in stack of 2 where the bushings were. If doing this dont get your fingers caught in the glass. You should be able to get the bushings at Napa for a few bucks. Once fixed the motor will continue to run for years.
Be sure to regrease the gears.