5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fox Shell/Rebuild Question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:26 AM
redeemedsoul

Default Fox Shell/Rebuild Question..

I am a college student on a budget with two years to rebuild a car for when I get out of college. The car I am about to buy is a 1989 mustang gt hatchback with 130,000+ miles nothing rebuilt. I plan on taking out the engine, tranny, suspension, and interior the whole nine. I need help deciding if I should buy an actual car with the motor/tranny/wiring already or just buy the shell of the car and work from their. I'm not worried about gas, but reliability is a big issue. I'm a complete noob to v8's or american cars.. I own a stg. 2 wrx, i have done all the work on my car. Even swapped turbo's because I was bored, but how should i plan this project. I have a list of mods I was looking at... 3:73 gears ... manual tranny ... need to rebuild a whole motor ... no idea what to get ... (no flames) ... I want a completely new engine/trans... i want it to be reliable ... i will be looking into 300+ rwhp ... but still daily driveable if i wanted it to be... where can i buy a whole new motor. or should i buy everything(cams, bores, shaft, whatever else is in the block) seperate? Iit will be a DD but i want it to be reliable if I do the usual bolt-ons and rebuilding the engine seems harder than just getting a new one and starting ... I would also be looking at a shop to fix up my wires and fuses and all hoses/electronics to get everything working. I am going to be gutting the interior ... planning on no back seat .. with nice comfortable buckets for the front .. i also want an adjustable suspension for the daily driver and the weekend track racing purposes... Thanks for Replies!