5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Piston Valve Clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
baypark

Default Piston Valve Clearance question

I have a 302 HO motor with stock crank and rods(5.09), Pistons are domed (0.2inch above flat). I want to run the e303 cam (0.498) int/ex with 1.6 rockers and the x306 heads(64cc chambers). Will I have enough clearance with this or do I need to use a different cam?

Thanks,
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you really DON'T want to run the E303... Seriously.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
baypark

Why. Whats wrong the e303?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

If you have to ask, you have no business building an engine. Stop reading the magazines, and start reading the forums.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:58 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by baypark
Why. Whats wrong the e303?
I'll wade into this pit of despair.........

Let me start by saying I do not know if you'll have PTV problems.

In truth, there is nothing really wrong with the e303. The truth is there are "better" cams out there. What is "better"? To some, better means more power, to others, better compatibility with other mods, or more low end torque vs hi rev power.

The e303 is marginally better than stock. I think most people are saying not to get the e303 since if you are changing cams anyway, why not get a "better" cam? I see many people say get a "custom" cam, but rarely, if ever do they specify what "custom" means. What specs does their mystery custom cam have? The e303 was designed to work with the 5.0. If you use it, odds are you'll have no issues. It is a "safe bet".

There are many other options out there, and most, if not all, will give you more performance than the e303. Does that make the e303 bad? I'd argue no, since having it as an option is just that: an option for those who don't want a more serious cam.

Alright, I am ready for the pile on!

Last edited by MustangBradley; 07-29-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by MustangBradley
Alright, I am ready for the pile on!
I'll go easy...

I see many people say get a "custom" cam, but rarely, if ever do they specify what "custom" means. What specs does their mystery custom cam have?
Custom is exactly that... Custom tailored to YOUR specific car, and YOUR specific wants/needs. As for the specs? We can't tell you... because YOUR custom cam hasn't been crafted yet. Think of buying a cam in the same manner as buying a suit. Sure the one off the shelf looks nice, and fits ok... But the one the tailor can create that fits your specific body lines juuust right, is usually the better choice. Sure it might cost a little bit more. But if Lexus wasn't a nicer car that Toyota... There would be alot more Camry's on the road.

The e303 was designed to work with the 5.0. If you use it, odds are you'll have no issues. It is a "safe bet".
Except for the fact that over 85% of the people that own E303's complain about frequent stalling problems, heavily loping idle, horrible gas mileage, and plain poor driveability. The rest of us that have them think they are great... As a door stop!

Once I get home, I might craft myself a B-303 lamp!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

After looking up the specs on the e303, I wonder why so many make the complaints you list. The specs are not wild in any manner. The lobes are at a moderate 110*, lift is under .5, duration 282*. This is not far from stock. The F303 is more aggressive than the e303 and the x & z are further still.

You know how easy it is to screw up these 5.0s in terms of tune. How many posts have you read where the person has made some stupid mistake? I wonder how many blame the e303 for something they did stupid (besides buying the e303 )?

Often, there have been devices built that look good on paper, but end up being a mistake. The Chevy Vega comes to mind. Perhaps the e303 is a member of this bunch.

If you do decide to add a e303 lamp to your house, please post a pic!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 PM
88GTBLACK
2nd Gear Member

After looking up the specs on the e303, I wonder why so many make the complaints you list. The specs are not wild in any manner. The lobes are at a moderate 110*, lift is under .5, duration 282*. This is not far from stock. The F303 is more aggressive than the e303 and the x & z are further still.

You know how easy it is to screw up these 5.0s in terms of tune. How many posts have you read where the person has made some stupid mistake? I wonder how many blame the e303 for something they did stupid (besides buying the e303 )?

Often, there have been devices built that look good on paper, but end up being a mistake. The Chevy Vega comes to mind. Perhaps the e303 is a member of this bunch.

If you do decide to add a e303 lamp to your house, please post a pic!
This thread is epic. I am hugely considering making a lamp using the stock HO cam now. Its used so that even makes it that much better. and e7's...well IDK i could put peanut butter in the ports and sticky paper outside and catch mice. in my basement. Thats all I could come up with. But a cam lamp? Win.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

fine ill explain...

SBF's have a HORRIBLE mismatch between the intake and exhaust ports (flow vs flow). in essence, do to the the letter cams being single pattern, too much air is flowing in the motor and not enough is escaping. in laymans terms, the motor is getting "backed up", and eventually, it "passes out".

look at all the "better" cams on the market and anyone who has a custom grind, they all have a decent amount more on the exhaust side to aid in flow.

do the letter cams work, yes, if you REALLY want it to be optimum and you HAVE to have one, do 1.6 on the intake and 1.7 on the exhaust for rockers.

otherwise, spend ~$20 LESS and get a TF cam and be done with it.

thats all for now, schools over for the day
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

cam lamps look cool for sure.

Quick Reply: Piston Valve Clearance question