5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

is manual really that much better then auto

Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
MrFedEx503
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: is manual really that much better then auto

ORIGINAL: Quik

sorry but for some of the ppl that said **** you pussies that hate on sticks. lets race, i only have an auto. while youre trying to figure out how to launch or how to shift at teh correct time and not miss a shift. wait dont over think shifing, all **** kid you just missed a shift and lost even worse.

sticks can be fun if you know how to drive, also racing a stick is like and auto. you keep it floored and just slightly tap the gas and move the shifter. if you are pressing inthe clutch 100% you are costing yourself valuable time and speed. with saying that sticks and autos are just about the same once youre at WOT. you keep it there and just tap the clutch
ok but as soon as that person gets a short throw and learns how to launch with the same mods as you..... Bye bye Quik............. and by the way i wrote that message about pussies and auto's cuz i was drunk... come on monday night football was last night.... i was faded
Old 09-13-2005, 03:41 PM
MrFedEx503
2nd Gear Member

first off i wanna say sorry to quik for coming off as a d-i-c-k. I was just pissed I had to go to court this morning and was really pissed off. my fault mayne
Old 09-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

sorry stick boys arent passing me with the same mods. shifter isnt what makes the driver. i know plenty of ppl that can rip a stock shifter and not have any issues and im one of them. if you can drive you can make anything work.
ORIGINAL: MrFedEx503

ORIGINAL: Quik

sorry but for some of the ppl that said **** you pussies that hate on sticks. lets race, i only have an auto. while youre trying to figure out how to launch or how to shift at teh correct time and not miss a shift. wait dont over think shifing, all **** kid you just missed a shift and lost even worse.

sticks can be fun if you know how to drive, also racing a stick is like and auto. you keep it floored and just slightly tap the gas and move the shifter. if you are pressing inthe clutch 100% you are costing yourself valuable time and speed. with saying that sticks and autos are just about the same once youre at WOT. you keep it there and just tap the clutch
ok but as soon as that person gets a short throw and learns how to launch with the same mods as you..... Bye bye Quik............. and by the way i wrote that message about pussies and auto's cuz i was drunk... come on monday night football was last night.... i was faded
Old 09-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

its cool, its not a problem, i just love to bust *****. but a stick vs auto thread can go on forever.
ORIGINAL: MrFedEx503

first off i wanna say sorry to quik for coming off as a d-i-c-k. I was just pissed I had to go to court this morning and was really pissed off. my fault mayne
Old 09-13-2005, 06:59 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

if manuals are faster than autos, then why is a 1300hp supra auto faster than a 1300hp supra 6 spd?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

why is a 500hp domestic faster then a 1300hp supra
Old 09-13-2005, 07:06 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

supra cant get the power to the floow tahts why ahha
Old 09-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

nope thats not always the case. its cause of the powerband. they have a very short and peaky power band when they make that kind of power. with those numbers they are usually way out of the torque band the motor was intended for. they are dyno queens and nothing else. yes some go fast but seriously if you need over 500 hp to go 10s something is wrong. unless youre a truck or a winebaego. a winebaego with 1300 hp could possibly run a 12 for crying out loud.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: madd_hatter_1979

in my opinion yes, im contemplating th same swap in my 88 gt, lets look at some differences between the auto and the stick, AOD's, or in your case probably AODE, have 4 gears thats it even with a shift kit not much gas savings when compared with a 5 or even a 6 speed, cause of the gear difference, depends on driving plans and style if you run the strip most guys prefer the auto, if you cruise or do alot of highway driving most prefer stick
whether you knew this before you said that or not... 3rd gear in an aode is the same as 4th gear in the manual (1:1) and 4th in an aode is the same as 5th in the manual (.67:1 compared to .68:1) so there really isn't that much of a "gear difference" between the 2 as far as daily driving.
However, for gas savings (which you might have been referring to before) if you're nice to your 5spd car, then you will get better mileage than an aode.
Oh, and the 6 speed CAN get better mileage than the other 2, if you do a lot of interstate driving (that's the only practical place to use 6th gear) but from what i've heard its a lot more work, or just a bigger pain in the *** to install a 6 spd.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:42 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: black89gt

if manuals are faster than autos, then why is a 1300hp supra auto faster than a 1300hp supra 6 spd?
You know, I'd still take the manual supra just because it would be FUNNER. Like mentioned 10 gazillion times before, it all comes down to your preference. I like manuals. period. Yes, autos may be faster after modded but I still don't want one because they are boring to me. I don't like just pressing the gas pedal and going. I'd rather have to think about the variables like clutch slippage, gas, what gear, etc. It's just more entertaining. I feel like I'm more involved in driving. In autos I feel like I'm just going along for the ride. No thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is manual really that much better then auto