5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Replacing the Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

Default Replacing the Radiator

I need to replace the radiator in my 93 5.0 with auto transmission. I checked out LRS and saw that they have one for $139, but it does not specify if it's for a manual or auto vehicle. All of the other radiators do make that specification. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the radiators?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

manual cars use the "auto" radiator, without any lines connected
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
ITALIANO66669
2nd Gear Member

exactly.either way it has the ports for tranny lines.thats how mine is.eventually im going bigger and better.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

I ordered the 50resto kit ($199) from LRS today. I should receive the parts tomorrow since UPS Ground is 1 day in Texas. I also ordered a new brake booster as well.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Ninety3Coupe

I agree with all the above. I went the Auto Zone route and they said that nearly no one makes a 5 speed only radiator anymore.

And those guys know everything about cars and are typically geniuses. Oh, wait, I meant the opposite.

Anyway, mine came with automatic lines left untouched.

Good luck, and watch those fins...
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

I got the parts in and drove the car over to my friend's shop (that's where I keep my Snap On tool box). Monday we'll crank it out. The radiator should be easy to do, but we had no idea what's in store for us with the brake booster.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Ninety3Coupe

Originally Posted by Shaft
I got the parts in and drove the car over to my friend's shop (that's where I keep my Snap On tool box). Monday we'll crank it out. The radiator should be easy to do, but we had no idea what's in store for us with the brake booster.
Wish ya the best. It's not bad at all.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

OK, so it's not been so easy. The new radiator is thicker than the original. It does not set into the bottom brackets just like OE one did. I called LRS and they told me I'll have to trim some of the rubber off of the footing and might have to drill a new hole in the upper bracket.

Other troubles I've run in to. I broke a transmission line and we had to repair that. I also changed out the thermostat. I figured it would be an easy deal since I've done it on a Chevrolet several times, but getting that bottom bolt out and back in was a pain. Do you have to pull the water pump to change one of those things? We got it done, but it took a long time to do something that was so simple.

As you can guess, we didn't get near the brake booster at all. Maybe later this week.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Ninety3Coupe

Originally Posted by Shaft
OK, so it's not been so easy. The new radiator is thicker than the original. It does not set into the bottom brackets just like OE one did. I called LRS and they told me I'll have to trim some of the rubber off of the footing and might have to drill a new hole in the upper bracket.

Other troubles I've run in to. I broke a transmission line and we had to repair that. I also changed out the thermostat. I figured it would be an easy deal since I've done it on a Chevrolet several times, but getting that bottom bolt out and back in was a pain. Do you have to pull the water pump to change one of those things? We got it done, but it took a long time to do something that was so simple.

As you can guess, we didn't get near the brake booster at all. Maybe later this week.
That bottom bolt JUST comes out peacefully if the stars align and you have been a good boy. It is a little tough, but certainly easier than pushing that Chevy down the road (I kid...kinda).

I bought an A.Z. replacement radiator just to get "back on the road" so I suppose you are dealing with an issue unlike mine. I will say I had a bit of a time getting the new one back in, but the dimensions were very, very close to stock. Just needs to be in JUST SO to fit properly I suppose.

The trans line just sucks. That screws up a day for sure. Sorry to hear it dude.

I don't know much about LRS but I sent in a return (didn't need the part THANK GOD!) and they have had it and swore they didn't. Then, once I photo'd the proof while standing in the P.O. (45 minutes out of my day to get the proof) that they had indeed delivered the package @ 9:30am last Friday they said it was due to the "late delivery" and it was unable to be processed. 9:30am seems pretty early to me, but hey, what do I know?

I wish you luck. Look at it this way, it is done and you feel better knowing it is done right. And you will do a great job with the booster as well. It may just take a little learnin' and elbow grease.

Keep up the good work sir!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

I'm not going to praise Chevys completely over Fords. Starter on a Chevrolet is a pain. (Easiest starter I ever changed was on my 82 Mazda RX-7.) The the coils are thicker on this radiator. The OE is about an inch and this new one is almost 2 inches.

I spent 15 years in the custom car stereo business. Don't tell me that I can't make something fit.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Radiator