5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help with smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 06:40 PM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

Default help with smoke!

When I start my car up for the first time, it blows a nice puff of white/grey smoke out the pipes, more if I have to pump the pedal( carbed), after if runs for a few sec it goes away. It doesn't blow any smoke when I am driving, but if I sit at a light for more then a couple of min, it will start to smoke alittle. It smokes even worse if I shut it off and then restart it within the hour. I have been checking my oil and coolant, no bubbles seen or anything in the oil as of yet. This isn't a daily driver so I haven't drove it more then probably 200 miles since putting the engine back together after putting all new gaskets in it over the winter. I have been told it might be my valve seals!?! could this be it or maybe my head gaskets? I ran a compression test on the heads, and they all pumped up and stayes with in the allowable psi, can't remember what the numbers where off hand though.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: help with smoke!

ORIGINAL: tinner7

When I start my car up for the first time, it blows a nice puff of white/grey smoke out the pipes, more if I have to pump the pedal( carbed), after if runs for a few sec it goes away. It doesn't blow any smoke when I am driving, but if I sit at a light for more then a couple of min, it will start to smoke alittle. It smokes even worse if I shut it off and then restart it within the hour. I have been checking my oil and coolant, no bubbles seen or anything in the oil as of yet. This isn't a daily driver so I haven't drove it more then probably 200 miles since putting the engine back together after putting all new gaskets in it over the winter. I have been told it might be my valve seals!?! could this be it or maybe my head gaskets? I ran a compression test on the heads, and they all pumped up and stayes with in the allowable psi, can't remember what the numbers where off hand though.
I would say valve stem seals. The fact it goes a long time without running means the seals shrink. They're probably cracked though as opposed to fully blown out. Head gaskets wouldn't cause it and would definitely give you other signs (missing, white smoke, really rough idle, compression being off on one or more cylinders, bubbles in coolant, water in oil (milky look). Most people don't think of the valve stem seals since they are in the head and not just bolded onto the engine.

I believe you can do them without removing the heads though. You need an air compressor and new valve cover gaskets. By using an air compressor, and removing the spark plug of each cylinder as you work on it, you can remove the rocker arm and valve stem seals without having the valves fall into the engine. It can be tedious but worth it in saving a lot of extra work (taking the heads off).
Old 09-06-2005, 07:33 PM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

wow, that sounds cool the part about me not taking the heads back off I will check this out, I have the valve seals, smacking my head that I didn't put them in though lol
Old 09-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Not surprising, most people don't think about them unless they're having head work or they go bad.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:51 PM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

ok, now with the air compsessor idea, do you make a air tight seal and then pump up the cylinder with air, would I run the risk of ruining my rings with the air pressure? or do I just slip a hose in the spark plug hole and let it just keep shooting air in to the chamber while some escaping out around the hose? Would running the piston to TDC help?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:27 AM
stanging
2nd Gear Member

You can buy an adapter that will screw into the spark plug hole and hook up your air hose.