MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Ball Joint MESS (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/652274-ball-joint-mess.html)

cholericfc 09-04-2011 05:49 PM

Ball Joint MESS

I have an air hammer with pickle forks and can't remove my spindle/steering knuckle from the car. I've strained my arm trying to beat the pickle fork extension with a hammer. I have a huge gash on my hand.

How do I get this thing off. I guess maybe I need a stronger air hammer?

mustangGT86_05 09-04-2011 06:22 PM

Are you just trying to push the pickle fork inward? Some times you gotta take a bfh and hit them downward too, this helps pry them apart

cholericfc 09-04-2011 07:32 PM

Yup. Doesn't work. Only thing I haven't done is use a sledge hammer.

I have a new spindle and new ball joint for the car = USE A GRINDING WHEEL AND CUT IT ALL OFF?

tohoopty 09-04-2011 07:41 PM

well use a sledge hammer then and dont hit like a girl

67mustang302 09-04-2011 07:47 PM

Don't use pickle forks, they suck.

Go get a real ball joint remover. Napa and others have one that looks like a big fat pair of blunt scissors(sort of) with a fork on one side and an arm on the other with a big ass bolt in it. Slip it on and tighten the bolt to pry the arms apart and separate the ball joint. That's what I use, just tighten it up really good and give it one or 2 good whacks with a hammer and they pop right out.

Pickle forks rarely work, and never work well(unless the joint is already loose).

cholericfc 09-05-2011 01:02 AM

I currently trying to separate the steering knuckle/spindle from the ball joint.

mustangGT86_05 09-05-2011 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by 67mustang302 (Post 7677234)
Don't use pickle forks, they suck.

Go get a real ball joint remover. Napa and others have one that looks like a big fat pair of blunt scissors(sort of) with a fork on one side and an arm on the other with a big ass bolt in it. Slip it on and tighten the bolt to pry the arms apart and separate the ball joint. That's what I use, just tighten it up really good and give it one or 2 good whacks with a hammer and they pop right out.

Pickle forks rarely work, and never work well(unless the joint is already loose).

I dont know what kinda pickle forks you use, but they always work for me. You just need a BFH to go along with them. You can always get a jaw puller but those can be a little tricky

cholericfc 09-05-2011 07:47 AM

I don't want to bend/hurt anything like my control arm or K-member....

projectresto83 09-05-2011 08:50 AM

If you are talking about the TIE ROD END (steering knuckle)..... make sure your steering wheel is straight, soak it in penetrating oil, and heat the spindle up. Find a nut that fits the tie rod end and thread it on almost all the way and beat that part with the hammer. Using the right tools as said above does make things alot easier though.

cholericfc 09-05-2011 12:49 PM

I did use those tools. I ended up getting it off with an angle grinder to the spindle...

Now, I have a ball joint press... I have 94' ball joints but I don't know how to use the press.... If I can do this I'll be able to finish my car finally