5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

air conditioner condenser

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:08 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default air conditioner condenser

has anybody ever converted an air conditioner condenser into a transmission cooler? seems like a great idea with just a little plumbing re-routing, and of course not having a/c, in which i can live with since its not a daily driver.......
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

i guess this was to technical of a question.....
Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure the large difference in piping size would contribute to internal AOD pressure problems
Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Stang2.3
4th Gear Member

or the fact that trans coolers are so in expensive, its easier just to buy the correct part and hook it up...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang2.3
or the fact that trans coolers are so in expensive, its easier just to buy the correct part and hook it up...
its not a conflict of price. i know they are fairly cheap. its a lack of space problem without having to fab stuff up to make it work.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:44 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
I'm pretty sure the large difference in piping size would contribute to internal AOD pressure problems
its a c4 transmission
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Stang2.3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_fed_03gt
its not a conflict of price. i know they are fairly cheap. its a lack of space problem without having to fab stuff up to make it work.
wait wait wait. your worried about space, yet you want to KEEP a BIG A/C Condenser in, that won't be for A/C anymore... instead of removing it, and putting in a very SMALL Trans cooler in, that will be used for trans cooling???

sounds like you like to do 10x the extra work, for little to no gain?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:59 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

wait wait wait. your worried about space, yet you want to KEEP a BIG A/C Condenser in, that won't be for A/C anymore... instead of removing it, and putting in a very SMALL Trans cooler in, that will be used for trans cooling???

negative. i could live without the a/c if its possible to make the condenser into a suitable trans cooler, taking into consideration that yes the condenser is huge, therfore seeming as if it would make one bit$# trans cooler. if not, i will keep the a/c and somehow make room.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Stang2.3
4th Gear Member

i've got a/c in my 84 gt and i could point out 10 - 15 spots where i could mount a trans cooler without even "making extra space"

Remember, its a Liquid to Air system, it doesn't necessarily have to be right out front (obviously it'd work best though), you could mount it like the stock intercooler in a 240sx, in the fender area like a SMIC? i can see where my snorkels are grabbing air from, so i figure theres some kinda air moving in there. and you could also use plumbing to route air from the front to the cooler like Trans am racers do for their brakes??

Millions of possibilities for how to route such things. use your imagination.
(BTW the last comment about using your imagination was NOT intended to be rude, even though it comes off like it. take it with humor and it sounds better. buh bye now)
Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

I'm a little bit confused about the last statement. I'm not sure if you are referring to performance gains, but trans coolers do not offer any performance, only are there to extend trans life. If you plan to run the car hard, I would use a larger trans cooler. I'm not 100% sure if a condenser would work, but I wouldn't take a risk in attempting it. Universal coolers are pretty simple to install, and you can get strait pipes at most parts stores and route it how you want it. just keep in mind the larger the piping the easier it is to kink

Quick Reply: air conditioner condenser