5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

91 Just died on the road... Now wont start.. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:52 PM
super slow 5.0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 91 Just died on the road... Now wont start.. Help!

my 92 lx did ther exact same thing i got a new fuel pump injectors plugs wires everything and still would not start i ended up pulling the computer and it was fried no clue how it happened..so try a computer mine was a $100 for the 5 speed a9l at auto zone that for one thats been redone so bring yours in or there will be a core charge...
Old 09-10-2005, 09:33 PM
AJJ90GT

Afternoon update:

Got a code reader. The computer seems to think all is well with a nice 11 code.

Next up:

Trying a new computer.

Still open to more of everyones input and appreciate each and every helpful post....

Alex
Old 09-10-2005, 11:59 PM
AJJ90GT

New computer in.... No go!

The battery finally went so I haven't checked for spark or for any codes on the new computer yet. I will do that in the morning. If there is nothing new, my last and final idea is replacing the distributor - thinking maybe the magnetic pickup went bad. Can it just die like that?

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Alex
Old 09-11-2005, 12:03 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

have you replaced the ignition switch in the steering column
Old 09-11-2005, 12:49 AM
AJJ90GT

ORIGINAL: stanglx2002

have you replaced the ignition switch in the steering column

I have not. You think it is a possible culprit? I was just reading in a manual that one of the wires going to the TFI module should indicate ignition in the RUN position or not. I was thinking of testing it, just gotta figure out which wire and hoping that it can be diagnosed with a test light....

Alex
Old 09-11-2005, 11:24 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

I was gonna say check the dizzy, but if you get spark out through your wires then it should be fine. But you could always upgrade it to msd while its out
Old 09-11-2005, 01:27 PM
AJJ90GT

Yeah....

No spark out at all... I might end up pulling it...

Alex
Old 09-11-2005, 02:46 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Computers can drop dead, but it's not that frequently. There's also a magnetic pickup inside the distributer that can go out. You may want to just look inside and see if it looks OK. How it looks doesn't guarantee that it's OK, but sometimes parts can come loose and you'll know it is not OK. Have you tried pulling the codes? If everything is clear, the computer will still give you an all clear code. If it's giving some codes, that would indicate that it is working on at least some level. If it gives you absolutely nothing (no all clear codes or anthing, then the computer has serious problems.

EDIT: Ooooppps, didn't see page 2. Glad the computer is OK. Still could be the pickup, or as others have said, the switch. When the switch is turned on (in the run position) check to see if there is 12V between the + battery wire termiinal on the coil and a good ground. If not, then the switch is not sending power, or something between the switch and the coil is not conducting power.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:44 AM
AJJ90GT

Ok...

I found a wiring diagram that gives excellent pinout details on the plug that goes into the TFI module. This actually works out to be a perfect test for your ignition switch. From the front of the engine, looking towards the rear.... If you unplug the plug, with the clip on your right hand side, counting from the bottom, the 3rd pin up is the RUN lead, and the 4th pin up is the START lead. Just ground a test light and stick the tip in the #3 hole with the keys in the run position... Get a light? Switch the car off... Did it shut off? If yes the run position is good. Stick the tip in hole #4. Have someone watch the light when you crank the car. If it lights up when you crank the car, the start postion on the ignition is good too.

Mine tested good... Also the +12 at the coil is good and turns on and off with the ignition....

So today I go for the distributor install.... I'm looking at this post for directions...

Distributor Install

Anything else I should know before pulling the distributor out?

Alex
Old 09-13-2005, 01:43 PM
AJJ90GT

Great news!

She's alive!

It was the distributor. If anyone is thinking of changing it, the directions in that link are perfect. I used some engine assembly lube on the shaft before the install... and BAM the car fired right up.

I want to thank everyone that posted on this thread for helping a forum noob with a pesky breakdown.

Until the next bolt on....

Alex

Quick Reply: 91 Just died on the road... Now wont start.. Help!