5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can't get alternator out even after consulting manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

Default Can't get alternator out even after consulting manual

I cant get my alternator out of my 87 GT because I'm not smart enough to figure out how to remove that bolt/pin or whatever it is that it's pivoting on. I have the short bolt on the top out, and the long one too. I looked in the manual and couldn't tell either. I thought it just pulled out after removing those two bolts. I'd be eternally grateful for anyone's help. So would my neighbors, because I left it running in the driveway between our houses after jumping it, and they're parking on the street right now.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

I do believe it rests on a sleeve on the longer bolt, just take a pry bar and gently apply pressure til it slides off.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Some pressure and it will come out. Use some WD-40 and tap sleeve forward, makes install alot easier.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:13 PM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bubba 95SN
Some pressure and it will come out. Use some WD-40 and tap sleeve forward, makes install alot easier.
Is there two bolts or three. I have the top one out, and the long one on the side out. The alternator swings back and forth on something. If it's another bolt, the head is broken off. If not, I don't know how to remove it. I don't have a camera and can't get a pic up, but I'm working on it. Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 03:58 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If I were you, I would throw my tools away. You would be money ahead.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:26 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

There should be only 2 bolts. A long one and a short one. If you've removed both, then your alternator is just stuck in the pivot point. The long bolt has a movable bushing that compresses when you tighten the long bolt. This creates a bit of pressure on the alternator bracket, and in turn holds it in place, even without a bolt. All you gotta do is pry it out with a long screwdriver or prybar.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:46 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Did you completely ignore what I said? If it were pivoting back and forth then you'd easily be able to find another bolt to get it out, its resting on a sleeve as I and mattdel told you.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:49 PM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
If I were you, I would throw my tools away. You would be money ahead.
I appreciate all your help, I really do, but it's getting a bit hostile. So my problem is that it's stuck on the pivot point. I was unclear on how to pry it out, and I didn't want to go and break something. Thanks for the helpful suggestion TrimDips**t.

Last edited by sixtyninestang; 10-16-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:08 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

lol Trimdrip

Seriously though, as matt was saying there is a bushing on the front side of the alternator. It slides inside between the alternator and the bracket. The long bolt slides through the front of the bracket, through the bushing, then through the alternator and screws into the back of the bracket. When you remove the top and bottom bolt, the alternator gets stuck between the front and rear side of the bracket. It can be hard to pull out so take a long screwdriver, pry bar, etc. and pry out on the alternator. It should slowly push out of the bracket.

You can use a rubber mallet also and tap on the alternator to get it moving. If it is bad you don't need to worry about damaging it anyhow. Like someone else said a little WD40 between the alternator and bracket will help it slide out also. Sometimes you just have to get a little forceful. It'll come out of there.

Last edited by stdyhand; 10-17-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 PM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stdyhand
lol Trimdrip

Seriously though, as matt was saying there is a bushing on the front side of the alternator. It slides inside between the alternator and the bracket. The long bolt slides through the front of the bracket, through the bushing, then through the alternator and screws into the back of the bracket. When you remove the top and bottom bolt, the alternator gets stuck between the front and rear side of the bracket. It can be hard to pull out so take a long screwdriver, pry bar, etc. and pry out on the alternator. It should slowly push out of the bracket.

You can use a rubber mallet also and tap on the alternator to get it moving. If it is bad you don't need to worry about damaging it anyhow. Like someone else said a little WD40 between the alternator and bracket will help it slide out also. Sometimes you just have to get a little forceful. It'll come out of there.
Amazing what happens when you follow directions.

In the future I'll post pictures so you guys can figure out what the hell I'm trying to explain. Thank you everyone. Now I just have to put the underdrive pulley on it. I'm going through the forums now to find a how to before I start it.

Quick Reply: Can't get alternator out even after consulting manual