5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

sn-95 3.8 to 5.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 PM
5.0 wannabe

Default sn-95 3.8 to 5.0 swap

Ok so here goes, my dad and I are in the process of swapping out my 3.8l with a rod knock for a 5.0. Scoured everywhere none of the salvage yards near us had a 3.8l worth buying, ((way over priced and needing some kind of repair driving the expense past what was deemed reasonable by his account)). Fords are not popular in our area, btw.
So instead he grabs a 5.0 harness and t4mo comp, and a 93 5.0 from one of his previous rides (( a real nice motor by the way)). For 200 he got the comp, complete underhood harness, and some other odds and ends.
Now looking for the throttle cable, shouldnt be too hard to find, hopefully.
My question is will the harness from the 94 work on the 93 motor? What possible changes will have to be made sensor wise? I do know we will have to place a bung in the passenger header for the o2 sensor, and the tach needs swapped, but he is not worried at moment on the tach.
As for the flywheel (yes a 5 speed car), can we run a 164 tooth, use a 11 inch clutch and have no issues not swapping the bellhousing?
Guess am asking here as I dont want to sound stupid while working with dad, and maybe even surprise him a little with a little more insight.

Anyways off to the garage to start prepping things so we can pull motor when he gets home from work, thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you need a 10.5" disc, the harness will work on MOST of the 93 sensors. the distibutor cannot be used from the 93, the brackets MIGHT cause fitment problems with the radiator, the 3.8l exhaust will not work..

shoulda just scrapped the car and bought a GT
Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Father/son experience of building a car is more valuable than buying a GT
Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 PM
5.0 wannabe

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
you need a 10.5" disc, the harness will work on MOST of the 93 sensors. the distibutor cannot be used from the 93, the brackets MIGHT cause fitment problems with the radiator, the 3.8l exhaust will not work..

shoulda just scrapped the car and bought a GT
Exhaust not worried on, as I clean an exhaust shops business on weekends.

I failed mention the 5.0 I have is from a 93 bird, so it has correct distributor.
Not really sure on the brackets, as I read the bird was a sn-95 carryover, and then read it wasnt, so that will see in the end.
Nice to know on the sensor/harness issue.

Now confused on the clutch, as I read alot before this project came about and it, Seems if the 157 tooth flywheel is used with the v-6 bell, and its 10.5 clutch, the starter will miss completely. The cure I read wasto use a 164 tooth flywheel, with its 11 inch clutch, like the 3.8's setup.

If I were a bit older then 15, and had a solid job, you can bet I woulda bought a gt. The neighbor gave me the car after a summer of helping him with his yard, (( paid me a little as well)). His wife dont drive no more, and it was her car.

Mustangs here where I live dont go cheaply. Is a 91 notch down the road, a 4 cyl car still sitting in a lot they are asking 3100 for it, been there going on 4 yrs now according to my dad,. Guy just north of me a little ways, has a wrecked 95 cobra, he wants over 4k for.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I didn't read it all but You can not use the 3.8 bellhousing. starter locations are different....

a good write up...
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...nsmission.html
Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 5.0 wannabe
His wife dont drive no more, and it was her car.
His wife DOESN'T drive anymore...

You should focus more on school than a project car that you cant afford to drive, due to gas prices.

we don't be needin mo' broked murstangs...
Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 AM
prangy
1st Gear Member

Just cause he did not use proper English does not mean he does not focus on school, instead of busting the kid give him encouragement. It is good to see younger kids doing something besides videogames and sitting around.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

I've been in the automotive industry for a long time... the only thing I see him doing in wasting time and effort on a pipe dream.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

His wife DOESN'T drive anymore...

You should focus more on school than a project car that you cant afford to drive, due to gas prices.

we don't be needin mo' broked murstangs...
But if she don't drive no more then that means she still drives? O_o
I've been in the automotive industry for a long time... the only thing I see him doing in wasting time and effort on a pipe dream.

Nah, he's just going about it the expensive way. There's a much cheaper way of doing it that would make it just as reliable.

5.0 wannabe, what you need to do is scrap the idea of fuel injection. It's expensive and half of the **** isn't going to work properly anyway.
First, remove the check engine light.
Then get yourself a 4bbl carburetor, and intake. You'll need the 5.0 motor mounts from 94/95 (IIRC they're different than the foxbody ones). Next you'll need a bellhousing from a 5.0L. Get the stock 5.0L flywheel and clutch assy (10.5" IIRC). I'm not sure if the V6 trans will bolt up, I'm thinking that it wont. You need either a 5.0L T-5, or a 4cyl T-5. However with the 4 cyl T5 you'll need to make a custom pilot bushing.

The rest should just bolt right in.

If you need a tach, I've got a 5" Autogage for sale. Link in sig.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by P Zero
But if she don't drive no more then that means she still drives? O_o

Nah, he's just going about it the expensive way. There's a much cheaper way of doing it that would make it just as reliable.

5.0 wannabe, what you need to do is scrap the idea of fuel injection. It's expensive and half of the **** isn't going to work properly anyway.
First, remove the check engine light.
Then get yourself a 4bbl carburetor, and intake. You'll need the 5.0 motor mounts from 94/95 (IIRC they're different than the foxbody ones). Next you'll need a bellhousing from a 5.0L. Get the stock 5.0L flywheel and clutch assy (10.5" IIRC). I'm not sure if the V6 trans will bolt up, I'm thinking that it wont. You need either a 5.0L T-5, or a 4cyl T-5. However with the 4 cyl T5 you'll need to make a custom pilot bushing.

The rest should just bolt right in.

If you need a tach, I've got a 5" Autogage for sale. Link in sig.
And you are just as ignorant..............

There is no reason for him to go to a carb setup. Why wouldn't it work correctly? Putting a EFI 5.0 in a SN is just as easy as a fox body. Its just harder to find the correct wiring since it was only built 2 years. The v6 trans will bolt up, just not the bell housing. He would need a 94+ T5 from a mustang because a fox T5 doesn't sit far enough back and the shifter will be too close to the radio and possible cause issues. You CAN run a fox T5 and bell but again it can cause clearance issues in the interior.

Quick Reply: sn-95 3.8 to 5.0 swap