5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Running lean with my new intake how do i balance it back?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What do the plugs look like though???
Old 12-24-2011, 02:54 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

the spark plugs?? y should i be checking them before i start my tear down??? what am i looking for oil or burnt looking spark plugs?? i just recently replaced them like less than a month...
Old 12-24-2011, 03:45 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

start it when its cold and let it run for a min...shut it off before it stops smoking and pull the plugs...I'm curious to see if one is wet...
Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

ok well i started it an of course no smoke..so instead of just jumping into my heads in case i really dont have to i thought i'd try an pull some more codes out an what i got was 12,41 and 91 and i made sure to warm up the car first and i did the test twice got same codes..Uhg think 12 has something to do with why motor wont idle..like it will die every time i start the damn thing unless i rev it up but even at like a steady 2k rpms it tends to have like a misfire or backfire or something jus runs a bit ruff ima try an make a video an post it or something that might help an think i can do it with my phone...
Old 12-24-2011, 04:51 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

so your IAC isn't functioning properly....if I am reading 12 right...o2's are reading both banks lean....

have you tested your fuel pressure?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:07 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

ok think i found where my coolants going..i think..looks like theres a pressure overflow valve or something on the bottom of my damn radiator ima post a couple pictures one will be of where i've been losing the coolant i think and the other two are of a vacuum leak that i've had pluged off maybe u know where it goes to i've seen the vacuum line charts but dunno wtf..car runs horribley an struggles to idle so im guessing iac or uhm this vacuum leak? when i unplugged the vacuum leak in the pictures motor started running nice an smooth for about 2 minutes then out of no where idle kicked dodwn to struggle an die...lol if its not one thing its another thats what i get for trying to build it myself haha and ok just read ur comment um ac was my first thought to so i tried unplugging it to see if it did anything an i mean it didnt do much but car would die with it unplugged for that long.. uhm i have not checkd my fuel pressure im guessing that would be a good idea eh : )

Old 12-24-2011, 05:23 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The IAC is not the a/c compressor. It is the Idle Air Control on the side of the throttle body. The idle should drop down if you unplug it while the car is running. It sounds like you need to remove it and clean yours.

The blue thing on the bottom of your radiator is just the drain for it.

With the way it acts when you unplug one of the vacuum lines it doesn't sound like it normally has a vacuum leak. Those solenoids are part of your emissions stuff though.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:25 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
The IAC is not the a/c compressor. It is the Idle Air Control on the side of the throttle body. The idle should drop down if you unplug it while the car is running. It sounds like you need to remove it and clean yours.

The blue thing on the bottom of your radiator is just the drain for it.

With the way it acts when you unplug one of the vacuum lines it doesn't sound like it normally has a vacuum leak. Those solenoids are part of your emissions stuff though.
hehe stupid typo i ment iac lol : ) ahem and the hose that goes from valvecover breather to throttlebody was unhooked sorry car atleast idles kinda ok now but i think this damn vacuum leak might be important uhm i've seen some charts like the one u posted but still i dont see where the open port i got is supposed to go to..i've known about it for awhile and have just been plugging it with a screw lol but i've been running crappy/rough for awhile to so...

Old 12-24-2011, 07:09 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

If you don't have the tube going from the throttle body to the valve cover make sure you have the port on the TB plugged. I would run the tube though.

I don't have alot of experience with the solenoids and what lines go where other than ripping them out and throwing them in the trash lol... BUT

Quick Reply: Running lean with my new intake how do i balance it back?