5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A Few noob questions...bare with me people lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 04:10 PM
MrFedEx503
2nd Gear Member

Default A Few noob questions...bare with me people lol

I have a few questions, i see lots of people talking about parts I dont know what they do or what they are

1. What are Subframe connectors????

2. What are pullies, where are they located, and what exactly do they do?(and yes i know i have them but the guy i bought it from did it)

3.and can anyone tell me what kinda Inakte manifold i should get..... i want that to be my next mod..... Cobra? Explorer? or trickflow? Eldelbrock?
Old 09-11-2005, 04:40 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: A Few noob questions...bare with me people lol

1. subframe connectors are what you bolt/ weld undereneath the car to keepo it more stable and keeps the body from flexing more it's more important to get them for a convertable because the body is less stable from loosing the top support

2. if you mean underdrive pullies, they are after market pullies that you can easily bolt on extra hp becasue when the belt turns it's stealing power from the engine... that's why people say the crank hp and the rear wheel hp. when these are added on it frees up pressure from the belt.

3. still trying to find a intake manifold for myself... i'm sure others can help you in this category.

...and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
Old 09-11-2005, 04:49 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Subframes are basically pieces of metal that just tie your front and rear subframes together to make the car more rigid more like a full frame car...Underdrive pullies just replace your crank,water pump and alternator factory pullies to just slow down all of the accesorys resulting in less strane on the motor and increasing power..And when you go with a intake just think of all you want from it "power band,looks,etc" becuse everyone is going to have different opinions but i would aleast go with a square port intake"bbk,edelbrock,trickflow,holley,proffesinal products,etc" since they will flow alot better out of the box and will flow better with porting also.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:22 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

3.and can anyone tell me what kinda Inakte manifold i should get..... i want that to be my next mod..... Cobra? Explorer? or trickflow? Eldelbrock?
Are you planning to replace the stock heads? The stock heads are the biggest restriction of air flow on these 5.0 motors.
If you can only do either the manifold or the heads, you're better off replacing the heads with good aftermarket aluminum heads like Edelbrock has, than changing the intake manifold.
Course, if you can do both, then you'd be way ahead. Don't forget to go for a better cam while you're at it...