5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD - fried, dead, fkd? or can it be helped?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs down AOD - fried, dead, fkd? or can it be helped?

Hi. I think my AOD died. it just revs to the moon in OD. The thing is - its nearly new and was built up. Please help me, this is my 7th attempt at a fox mustang and I never get to use them for more than a month or so.

I have been trying to get a daily driver mustang since 1997. Yes 1997 when I bought my 67.

I finally got my white 1991 mustang on the road since not having one since 2007. Ive
I bought an AOD trans from broaderperformance.com a few years back. It ran fine for the 100 miles in my SILVER 1991 notchback until i was hit in the rear, I salvaged it and drove it for another 200 miles and the car sat in my back yard. Fast forward 2011, october. I finally got this white notch back together. I adjusted the TV cable per http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw pretty basic just neutral out the adjuster, right?

Tonight, I just lost the trans. This after building a 1992 for the past 3 years and the machinist made an error somehow where the engine rattles and the rockers slam around and I have to pull the engine, thats fine if I had the 1991 to drive, oh wait I bought a truck from the engine builder for John force's daughter which was a damn lemon and he died the next week... the engine blew on that one, I looked at it 3 different spark plug types in there and vaccum lines all basterdized, even bought a new e-quadrajet. So I have 3 cars but cant drive one. I had been borrowing friends cars before the 1991 was finally done... and now it needs a new trans, hmm I bet even thought I spent $2500 on this AOD it lasted what 1000 miles????????????? And my 66 was totaled by an ******* and my 70 was totaled when the thorttle cable caught on an internal snag, and my 67 would never ever run right... yes its been since 1997 I have been trying ever since then, and fail each year. My wife even left me because I refuse to give up on my dream of daily driver mustang, and tonight I fail after 1.5 months and all this effort...

The trans is fried, right? there is no other explanation?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

sorry for bitching but I have failed every time for so long I was wrong it was 1994 so thats 17 years... and still have not gotten one break... is it that I am fated to buy a Honda? If there is anyone in the Anaheim CA area that can help me, I will pay for high quality work

save me from honda ownership
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 AM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

somebody help this poor man.. im in Wisconsin i cant help ya brahhh
Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

od band is out = common aod doa issue, I'd question the source you bought it from on how complete a rebuild it was .com places make me run..lol
Old 12-17-2011, 02:21 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

make you run, yes. but I could not find a shop otherwise than a AMCO or other crap, in anaheim ,ca area. I still would love to find a fox shop or a trans shop that is competent in AOD in my area
Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Hamutoff
make you run, yes. but I could not find a shop otherwise than a AMCO or other crap, in anaheim ,ca area. I still would love to find a fox shop or a trans shop that is competent in AOD in my area
read up on them, AOD'S are not terribly hard to rebuild, just need a few specialty tools and patience or look into places like LENTECH or iirc PA performance makes a nice AOD.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:19 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i tried to do the AOD myself.

the last one i did was with the motorsport "wide gear" set, tci converter, transgo valvebody etc.

ford claimed that gearset would bulletproof it til the hi 11's

mine was a 14.40 car and it lasted a whole 6 months

thats when i gave up on AOD's

and yes its smoked, since the band is cooked, the fluid is also contaminated and you'll need a new converter now cuz you cant flush a stocker

+1 id look into lentech or a t5 swap

a t5 swap is cheapest and your car will be about a second faster after
Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Lentech is the only place to go for a solid AOD,your gonna have to spend money to have a reliable AOD.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamutoff
... is it that I am fated to buy a Honda?
save me from honda ownership
Hondas get good gas milage.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Oh, that's just mean! LOL

Seriously, don't buy a Honda, you can make this work! Take the AOD out, sell it and use whatever you can get for it towards a T-5 conversion, or a Tremec 3550 or TKO. Rebuilding a T-5 is easy as pie, as long as you get one that wasn't horribly abused, it will cost about $250 in parts, and a $19 how-to video from Hanlon Motorsports. Took me about 4 hours.

Might want to look into the manual route. The car will have more wheel HP, and banging gears makes driving much more fun, unless you are creeping in a traffic jam on the interstate, while trying to eat some McDonalds and chat on the cell.

Quick Reply: AOD - fried, dead, fkd? or can it be helped?