5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Electrical Problem. Blinkers, Climate control, top

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

Default Electrical Problem. Blinkers, Climate control, top

Hello,

I am having problems with my climate control, blinkers, and convertible top not working. It happens randomly, sometimes when I start the car they all work but sometimes none of them work. If they are working, they keep working until I turn the car off. Same as when they are not working.

While the engine is started and they are not working, I can turn the ignition forward a little bit (not enough to engage the starter again) and I hear a little click and they start working again.

I did a search and it led me to believe that the problem is coming from the fuse at position 5. However, I pulled the fuse and it is not blown.

What is wrong and how should I go about fixing it?

Thank you so much!!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 AM
thegreatmrp

One thing to check is it may be the ignition switch in column. I had a similar problem with my 88 convertible. I would lose all accessories sometimes at random while driving. Found that I could duplicate the problem by messing with the Key, by simply wiggling it. When I went to replace the part the original one just fell apart in pieces in my hands after removing the security torx bolts. Not too hard to check and if you need a new one they are less than 15 bucks and take about 20 mins to install.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thegreatmrp
One thing to check is it may be the ignition switch in column. I had a similar problem with my 88 convertible. I would lose all accessories sometimes at random while driving. Found that I could duplicate the problem by messing with the Key, by simply wiggling it. When I went to replace the part the original one just fell apart in pieces in my hands after removing the security torx bolts. Not too hard to check and if you need a new one they are less than 15 bucks and take about 20 mins to install.
This is the best starting point. Cheap & easy, and likely the cause.
Remember you're not replacing the actual key tumbler, you're replacing the electrical ignition switch. It's bolted to the steering column, roughly the same size as a playing card.