5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What Years Fox Mustang to Avoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Skrappy
1st Gear Member

Default What Years Fox Mustang to Avoid

This is my first post on this site.

I am looking to pick up a late 80's early 90's Mustang LX 5.0 Manual trans.

I am currently looking at buying an '88 to modify for possible SCCA racing. I have heard that there are some years to avoid because of fuel injection changes. SD to MAF? I had a first gen Lighning modified pretty heavily so I know what I want to do. I just want to be educated before getting into my first Stang.

Thank You for your help.

Skrappy
Old 09-14-2005, 01:46 AM
95whitecobra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What Years Fox Mustang to Avoid

89-93 mustangs came with factory mass air as did 88-93 CA mustangs. Previous year mustangs had speed density EFI. Older mustangs also had carburation and some had something called CFI. I don't think there are really any stangs to avoid, but if you are gonna go all out with mods the 89-93 mass air's are better for mods. Also Ford stopped using forged pistons with the 92 model year. The 93's pistons are not as good for s/c, turbo, or n2o applications.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:06 AM
nick366
1st Gear Member

If u were to avoid one it would be the 86 year because that is when ford switched from carbs to EFI. The first year of anything new tends to have a few bugs that need to be worked out.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Skrappy
1st Gear Member

I have heard great things about the MAF system that comes stock on the 89-92 cars. I heard that it accepts modifications like new heads with good porting and a new intake pretty well. I am ultimately looking to keep it NA and go with some Head/Intake and Header/Exhaust combo. So it looks like I should stay in the '89-92' range to make it easier to modify unless I want to buy a new MAF kit for it.

Next question then:

How easy is it to retro fit a MAF on a '88 or newer, can I head down to the pick and pull, get a used one and slap it on? How much should I look to spend if I had to go this route? I am afraid that this '88 LX notchback may be too clean to pass on...

Thanks Again for your help!

Skrappy
Old 09-14-2005, 01:09 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Any fox can be really built the same. It's just that you start off with some different components at first.

86 was the first year for speed density sequential port fuel injection, 8.8 rear-end, H-pipe exhaust with double hump cross member, first year for quad shocks(not that great anyhow). 86 was also the only year with 9.2:1 compression due to flat top pistons which is bad because you can't add a cam or 1.7 rockers.

Also, any SD car can easily be converted to mass air flow. And if you're going to be serious about the project, you'll most likely be starting fresh with a new short block at least built to what you ultimately want.

So I'd say if you want to stay Fuel injected then get at least an 86 or newer.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86HOGT

Any fox can be really built the same. It's just that you start off with some different components at first.

86 was the first year for speed density sequential port fuel injection, 8.8 rear-end, H-pipe exhaust with double hump cross member, first year for quad shocks(not that great anyhow). 86 was also the only year with 9.2:1 compression due to flat top pistons which is bad because you can't add a cam or 1.7 rockers.

Also, any SD car can easily be converted to mass air flow. And if you're going to be serious about the project, you'll most likely be starting fresh with a new short block at least built to what you ultimately want.

So I'd say if you want to stay Fuel injected then get at least an 86 or newer.
I believe the quad shocks came out in 84. My 85 certainly has them. Also the 85 was the first year for forged pistons and roller cam.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:55 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I have to say I'm pretty happy with my 86. You are limited to what you can do but that can easily be fixed if you rebuild the block. I've been looking into a mass air swap since I got the car and it doesn't look like there is much too it at all.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:53 PM
95whitecobra
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Skrappy

Next question then:

How easy is it to retro fit a MAF on a '88 or newer, can I head down to the pick and pull, get a used one and slap it on? How much should I look to spend if I had to go this route? I am afraid that this '88 LX notchback may be too clean to pass on...

Thanks Again for your help!

Skrappy
There used to be an all inclusive kit to convert SD to mass air. Don't know if its still available. If not I believe you need to pick up a pcm from a mass air car, the harness, sensors, and the mass air meter.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

if this is going to be a SCCA car 4 the most part then a 91-93 as they have bigger front wheel opening to accept larger tires
Old 09-14-2005, 07:25 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

beware of any that v fast had.....

Quick Reply: What Years Fox Mustang to Avoid