5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Transgo Performance AOD-HP Shift Kit and HiRev kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Steve0623

Default Transgo Performance AOD-HP Shift Kit and HiRev kit

So I had installed the AOD HP shift kit. I'm not sure if it was just mine, but the shifts never seemed to be hard, or all that firm. The other issue I had, was when I put the transmission in OD gear, it would hold 1-2, and 2-3, but as soon as it shifted to third, it would almost IMMEDIATELY shift into OD.

Anyone else who has this kit, did you have the same experience? What were you experiences with this particular shift kit?? Can anyone chime in?

Having to rebuild my tranny again, so I'm debating changing shift kits, but this one is supposed to be really good.

FWIW, shift kit was installed to a tee with the directions.

steve
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

ok, well iv done that transgo kit and loved it ( best one out dare i think!) !!! Asfar as your shifts they should be firm, and as far as your od kickin in before its time sounds like you need to adjust the TV cable!! Also dont use no cheap atf fluid..., trickshift works!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

You should be chirpin tire when the auto shifts gears, regular automatic tranny fluid is fine.

Unless you bought an unreputable shift kit with horrible reviews... it should be good...

Js88lx should be in an english class.

As far as a FOUR speed stock automatic trans goes.... going from third gear to fourth = 3rd to OD. AOD's are 4 speeds.

Last edited by Tony71502; 02-03-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

good for you to notice.., maybe next time instead of you insulting people you grow up and get a life! Bored F&%# er You sound like one of those old farts that hates slang and cant stand young men..., yup prob on the money!!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

^^^^^You're working hard on getting you self kicked off this board man, and why are you getting offended over the internet? What kind've insecure napoleon complex type of person would do that?

Any way, OP, I had the trans-go in my 88 gt when I had the tranny rebuilt, with two washers in it kicked like a mule shifting (in my opinion) I loved it, it sounds like you maybe might've screwed something up, or another real possibility is the tranny has an actual problem, or maybe even the kit could've been incomplete/damaged. I know its not fun but it sounds like you need to drop the pan and double check everything.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:22 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve0623
The other issue I had, was when I put the transmission in OD gear, it would hold 1-2, and 2-3, but as soon as it shifted to third, it would almost IMMEDIATELY shift into OD.
thats impossible for numerous reasons

if its in OD, it will shift 1-2-3 by itself and you cannot hold any gear

you can hold "1" cuz its by itself

unless you have a full manual valvebody or electronic lockout, you cant 2-3 PERIOD because they are in the same shift selector spot as "D" unless you want to help destroy it by doing the "shuffle"

the AOD will NOT shift into OD under load

the bottom line is that the AOD is about the worst trans ever made, its weak, horribly geared, heavy and power robbing

i would consider a lentech if you stubborn enuff to stay AOD, otherwise do a t5 or tremec swap

you'll think you gained 100 hp
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
thats impossible for numerous reasons

if its in OD, it will shift 1-2-3 by itself and you cannot hold any gear

you can hold "1" cuz its by itself

unless you have a full manual valvebody or electronic lockout, you cant 2-3 PERIOD because they are in the same shift selector spot as "D" unless you want to help destroy it by doing the "shuffle"

the AOD will NOT shift into OD under load

the bottom line is that the AOD is about the worst trans ever made, its weak, horribly geared, heavy and power robbing

i would consider a lentech if you stubborn enuff to stay AOD, otherwise do a t5 or tremec swap

you'll think you gained 100 hp
I agree with you to a extent in stock form, but when built and stalled (~$1000) they are king and are reliable.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

You can hold gears in an aod, its called the aod shuffle, you start off in low, then when you want to shift move it up to D and then back down to low, that puts you in second, then when you want third slide it up into D and then to od when you're done, the aod without the transgo kit he described will not shift into od at full throttle (bad idea even with the shift kit) and with the high rev it overrides the transmission self protect feature
Old 02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by enix187
You can hold gears in an aod, its called the aod shuffle, you start off in low, then when you want to shift move it up to D and then back down to low, that puts you in second, then when you want third slide it up into D and then to od when you're done, the aod without the transgo kit he described will not shift into od at full throttle (bad idea even with the shift kit) and with the high rev it overrides the transmission self protect feature
You can but doing this over time can hurt the tranny. Also this is only for WOT, if your too low of a rpm/mph the trans will shift back into 1st going from 1-D- and back into 1 again.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by enix187

yup...just like i said above your post.

you can do the shuffle and when you pull back to "1" while your in second you keep some intermediate clutches engaged that should NOT be engaged.

and like stated after you...just cross your fingers that you dont go back to 1 trying to hold second

make it all happen successfully and you should improve your 1/4 mile ET by whole tenth, all at the cost of your tranny at $1500+ per rebuild

for half a tenth i'll just take my spare tire and jack out of the trunk if i had another AOD car or add the 10 hp somewhere

Quick Reply: Transgo Performance AOD-HP Shift Kit and HiRev kit