5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WTF happened???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default WTF happened???

a few days ago i posted about a popped head gasket. here it is again

i finally looked at the head today in the day light and saw this

the hg blew on the dyno but i know the head damage didnt happen on the dyno, that took time to do that. my question is, what happened and how long did it take to get like that?

now for the repair. what would you guys do? buy a set of used afr 205s and bolt them on or try to find a machine shop that can weld in some aluminum and then machine them flat? keep in mind the heads are junk, they are knock offs made by FPS in california
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Well you answered it yourself, when you mentioned they're knockoffs. Inferior metal causes this. Only a matter of time, really. I expect the rest to be weak like that as well.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:54 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Good point. So should I go afr or tw? I used to have afr165 on the stock bottom end and they were awesome
Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

either or will work fine
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I've got a Ranger that has the same problem. It's got low compression in all 3 cyl on the driver side... been running it like this for about 3 years.

When I finally decide to pull the heads, I'm afraid since I've been running it like this so long I'm going to find the heads or block dug out between the cylinders like yours and won't be able to get away with just replacing the gaskets.

I just don't feel like getting into a bunch of machine work to have the heads milled and the block decked, so I guess I'll be looking for a decent JY engine to drop in.

You'd think with all the technology today, blown head gaskets would be a rare occurance and not something you hear about all the time... I mean REALLY, how hard is it to get a stupid gasket to seal anyway?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

With this happening all at once, I would go with the bad aluminum idea unless you drove it for a while like that and it burnt through it. They will do that with fire crossing chambers like that.

Anyways, I got afrs on mine and like them. Never had a tw head before.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 02-14-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

I drove it a while. Few hundred miles at least and multiple passes down the track after when I think the initial damage was done.....just didn't realize it at the time
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Yeah, that did it.

A leaky header gasket will do the same thing to the surface of the head where the header bolts if ran long enough.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Just looking at your sig did you ever get it tuned? And get some 205s they purrdy and now popping up on craigslist!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

what cly. is that on is it 5&6? it is not uncommon for Alum. heads to do that and it can happen in seconds been there done that and seen the show many times. like said by trim it is crossfire between two cly. any good machine shop that knows how to weld can fix and you would never even know it was done if they are good. my TFS heads done it once between 5&6 that bad and once not as bad on cly. 8. But with them being knock offs I guess that is up to if you fix them but all heads even iron will do that. Get away from them head gaskets and run some type of MLS gasket it can still happen but if it strats a miss fire dont drive it till you know whats wrong. the thing is now you need to find why it blew a gasket if the first place. But I can tell you now those head gaskets dont work for boost real well. ask me how I know LOL

Last edited by uedlose; 02-15-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: WTF happened???