5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

starter won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM
87Unicorn
1st Gear Member

Default starter won't disengage

ive replaced the starter, ignition switch, solenoid, cleaned all grounds, replaced starter cable, replaced battery cables. what happens is when i hook the battery up the car tries to start itself and after the car is started the starter still stays on, i cant have a battery hooked up at all. A friend came over to check it out, he tried taking the key cylinder off the car and was not successful, he said this is the first foxbody he has ever had a problem with and that it should pop right out, also theres a black wire thats normally connected to it for the anti-theft? I bought the car with it disconnected 5 years ago and never thought anything of it. He suggested that the ignition came out of a truck not a mustang, he also said that it could be a relay behind the passenger kick panel? im not too sure whats wrong here, does anybody have any ideas? pics available upon request, thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Try pulling the small wire off the starter solenoid. Reconnect the battery. If it no longer tries to start, then the problem is in the ignition circuit. If the car still tries to start then you have a bad starter solenoid where it is staying engaged.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
87Unicorn
1st Gear Member

by ignition circuit you mean the main harness that plugs into the ignition switch?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

The small wire that attaches to your starter relay/solenoid is where the relay gets it's power to engage, by energizing the internal coil. If you are getting power from this wire when you connect the battery, then you will have to start looking at your ignition switch etc.. By pulling off this wire and the car still tries to start then you most likely just have a bad starter relay. If the wire is off, then there is no way the relay can get power to engage. If it does then the internal contacts are remaining engaged.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 02-16-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 PM
mustangaod

Default i had same problem

mine was the actual key tumbler. veryt easy to replace. turn key forward, and stick a small screwdriver in hole under steering column. should just slide out.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

Default sticking

Is the car an AOD? if so, the flex plate may be bent. I've seen bent flex plates hold the gear. If you have manual, take starter out and bench test with jumper cables. If anything, go to a parts store and make sure it is the correct starter. Most likely, the starter is fine, you just may have a solonoid problem (cheap)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

Also, the ignition switch in the steering column may be sticking. I've seen broken ones, but there is a spring to push the connector back to stop cranking. you may want to take the cover off of the steering column and replace the switch. The switches are under $20 but need security torx bits to remove. Easy change though.

There is so many things it could be but use logic and not just plug and play with wires, thats dangerous to the electrical system.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

im thinking as im typing. undo the steering column and remove the ignition switch. Install battery. see what happens.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM
87Unicorn
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangaod
mine was the actual key tumbler. veryt easy to replace. turn key forward, and stick a small screwdriver in hole under steering column. should just slide out.
tried that, it has proven quite difficult to get out, im told it couldve been jammed in there from a truck?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 PM
87Unicorn
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bruehlc
Also, the ignition switch in the steering column may be sticking. I've seen broken ones, but there is a spring to push the connector back to stop cranking. you may want to take the cover off of the steering column and replace the switch. The switches are under $20 but need security torx bits to remove. Easy change though.

There is so many things it could be but use logic and not just plug and play with wires, thats dangerous to the electrical system.
ive replaced the switch and solenoid already, its a 5spd btw

Quick Reply: starter won't disengage