MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Passenger window issues 91 gt (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/666020-passenger-window-issues-91-gt.html)

87blazerbeast 03-04-2012 09:57 PM

Passenger window issues 91 gt

I got the car a few days ago and the driver's window works but the passanger window is all the way down and if you listen closely when you hit the switch you can hear a quiet click sound. it's been sitting for a long time,and when my k5 blazer sat for a week or 2 the window stopped rolling down and makes the exact noise. I tried helping the window but it doesn't move at all,same with the k5. any ideas? i was thinking maybe the regulator got jammed

AdderMk2 03-04-2012 09:59 PM

remove the window motor and see if it works properly while not mounted to the regulator.
If it works fine, replace the regulator. If the motor doesn't work at all, replace it.

mattdel 03-05-2012 08:57 AM

In my experience, when the motor clicks and doesn't do anything, it's weakened to the point of needing replacement.

That's not to say that the regulator isn't binding up, just sayin though...

len1738 03-05-2012 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mattdel (Post 7864344)
In my experience, when the motor clicks and doesn't do anything, it's weakened to the point of needing replacement.

That's not to say that the regulator isn't binding up, just sayin though...

+1 on this. While you have it apart lube up the regulator and after you replace the motor see how it works. If you still have problems then the regulator is more than likely the culprit.

Project 5.GO! 03-05-2012 11:18 AM

The other day since I had my door panels off, I wanted to see if I could spot the reason that my regulators were groaning when the window was going up. From what I could see using a mirror, they looked rusty as hell. With the window rolled all the way up, I got some bearing grease, and a soft bristle toothbrush, and just slathered thge crap out of them with grease, trying to force it into the big circular spring in the middle and everywhere I could reach. Then I rolled the window down, and repeated the process. I figured since I couldn't see what I was getting greased, I wouldn't get stingy on the grease. Then I went into all the moving parts in the rest of it, and made sure they were lubed. That shut the windows right up, and they seem to be a lot smoother as well.

Also, check the 3 little plastic bushings in the window motor under the plate where the gear is. If they are shot, your motor could be binding up on the fragments that are still there. You can get replacements at NAPA.

87blazerbeast 03-05-2012 08:45 PM

thanks guys. im gonna pull the motor out tomorrow

87blazerbeast 03-06-2012 09:33 PM

pulled the motor out and it works. the window was kinda hard to manually move at first so maybe it was just froze up an needs to be greased