5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Passenger side window is stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Passenger side window is stuck open

Is there any way to put up a window that is stuck open? Im pretty sure the window motor died....wont go back up from either switch. I was wondering if there was any way to close it with the motor being dead...and are the motors hard to change?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

The windows use what is called a 5-wire system to operate which means there are no relays and the switches do all the work. The drivers side is considered the master switch, and the slave switch is the passenger side. You said you tried the switch so I assume you mean both of them? If that is the case and neither works, it could either be your motor or you pass switch. Check the wires at the passenger switch and give them a tug/jigle(Technical terms I know) to ensure they are seated properly and still attached. Check the wires on the back of the switch for power and if I remember correctly the wire comming out of the center of the switch should be a switched power. If there is no power to any of the wires then its not the motor. If you do find power, test the other wires with the switch pushed to see if it puts out power and if you find no output its your switch. If all that checks out then it is probably you motor.

To temporarily roll it up you can try disconnecting the two wires that go to the motor and put power on one, ground on the other and it should go up or down if the motor is good. Swap the wires and it will go the opposit direction.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

ok so i pulled out the motor and pulled the window up by hand, i plugged the motor in and it was working. I put the motor back in and the window works fine now! must have been jammed up. Thanks for the info
Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Mine does this too, and switching the motor and both switches resulted in the same problem. I don't think it is a stuck problem, its gotta be some sort of electrical demon. Best workaround I know is not to roll the window all the way down, or if you do, don't let it sit that way for any length of time. Mine would never lock up unless it had been rolled all the way down and left that way for a period of time. I roll them both down to a fraction less than their full travel, and nary a problem going on a year. I know its still there and eventually I will have to deal with it, but screw it for now.