5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear wheels not turning in neutral after brake change

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I believe the term for the rotors you were looking for was vented, not slotted. Did the regular 95's have vented rotors? If not... maybe your pads were meant for the cars with vented rotors. Once again I'm not sure on sn-95 specs. Just a thought.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
brittny881
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the stock SVT's had vented rotors. I do have the manual to the car, it probably wouldn't hurt to take a look in there...
Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Front pads are different between GT and Cobra, rear pads are identical between them.

If the caliper had to be "pounded" back on, as stated, that should've been the first clue something was wrong. My guess is the caliper was not fully compressed since the cap or bleeder were not loosened prior to compressing the caliper.

Secondly, go to rock auto . com and look up the parts you got from the auto parts store. Make sure they are the correct part number (or post it here). I doubt that is the issue or your would've had the same problem on the other side.

Remove the rear wheel on the side that is giving you problems, remove the caliper, remove the pads, pop the cap off the master cylinder and make certain the caliper piston is pushed all the way in. The caliper with the new pads should just slide over without any force necessary.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Err I meant maybe the pads you got were for non-vented rotors, if they were equipped on regular 95's. They would be skinnier.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

I suggest you take your car to a brake repair place, and have them check it out for you. Tell them you want a brake inspection, no work done. They will tell you what is wrong. Then you can decide to either fix it yourself, or have them repair it. Sounds like the brake repair by hubby was not done properly. Old cars and newer cars have slightly different procedures for brake repair. Check an on-line parts supply that carries the brake pads you already installed, to make sure you got the right P/N. Then have them pull their pads, and compare them against your new pads. Sometimes pads are returned, and are not put into the correct box.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
brittny881
2nd Gear Member

Both of the calipers had to be forcefully put on.. one more than the other. The pistons were pushed all the way in.. I watched him as he has me hold the caliper while he uses the weird cube tool to push the piston back in. It wouldn't ever hurt to try again though. I'll post the parts bought in a little bit.. I'll take a look myself later this evening to see if the caliper pistons are pushed all the way in.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

My money is on Tony being right. Skinnier rotor = thicker pad. You should never have to bang a caliper over the pads, the clearance should be big enough for at least a couple credit cards.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Double check the part number then. I double checked with Ford's own website and the Rear are different between a Cobra and GT.

Aftermarket says they are the same yet the loaded calipers are different.

I've run into this before where all of aftermarket says one thing but the OEM is different.

I checked a 94 Cobra with the OEM and it is identical to the 95. I also checked aftermarket and the 94 Cobra part number is different than the GT as expected from what the OEM says.

Take the pads back to the auto parts store and have them look up rear pads for a 94 Cobra.

Guarantee that will fix your problem.

Sources:
santanford . c o m parts lookup, for OEM
rockauto . com parts lookup for aftermarket

Last edited by Derf00; 03-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
brittny881
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
If the caliper had to be "pounded" back on, as stated, that should've been the first clue something was wrong. My guess is the caliper was not fully compressed since the cap or bleeder were not loosened prior to compressing the caliper.
Come to think of it, I don't think that he tried pushing the piston done after I opened the brake cap.. I will do that tonight. It's got to be some type of mistake, I'm sure.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

removing the master cylinder cap is irrelevant.

You ended up with GT pads. The rear brakes for the cobra are thinner due to the already mentioned vented vs solid rotor design.

Quick Reply: Rear wheels not turning in neutral after brake change