5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sluggish Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Default Sluggish Start

As some of you may or may not know my 08 was in a head on collision on Saturday and isn't usable for a few weeks so I had to drag out the old 5.0 so I have a car for a few days. Since I last drove the car in 2008 everything has been redone except the paint and the electronic harnesses.

Now here's the issue if you choose to call it that.

Once the car is warm or hot, it struggles to run for a few seconds. It'll either start up, but has a very sluggish kind of start like each cylinder just slowly decides to fire and it goes. Instead of starting up with the RPMs at around 1200 then falling, like it does when cold. When hot, if it starts to run, it goes from like 600 and slowly climbs. Or it'll start up, run sluggish like it's misfiring, then die. It'll do this till I rev it up or drive for a few seconds then it idels and drives normal again.

I had 3 different shops look this car over but because it's modified and because it's OBDI nobody wants to put too much effort into it. I did have one guy set the IAC valve for me which helped the idle but it's still a little rough when starting the car warm. The engine shakes a little almost like it's missing but I know it's not even feel it in the transmission but like I said it's very suddle.

Now here is the really interesting thing, this car did this 3 years ago before the old block blew and since then I've replaced most things on the car, however the old IAC, TPS, MAF, AIT, EGR, and knock sensors remain. I did install a new engine top end harness (the one that connects the fuel injectors and what not).

So any ideas???

I looked all over for vacuum leaks and did several at home test and the motor seems solid.

No radiator fluid in oil and after a lot of driving the fluid never rises above normal state.

Temp gauge doesn't seem to be fully functioning???

Gas consumption is rather high, smells a little rich. One shop said it probably has a lot of bad gas in it and that's the smell I'm getting cause the car set for so long. I still havn't ran though a whole tank. I put new gas in the car back in October or November. The gas tank was pretty much on empty before.

New gauge cluster and odometer doesn't work either, didn't work 3 years ago either, quit working back in 2007.

Last edited by jthorn9; 03-29-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Oh, BTW, here is what's new:

New 302 block
Remilled the old GT-40 X heads
Had the lower intake machined as well
All new Gaskets
New stud bolts for the heads
24lb fuel injectors
95 Cobra ECU
New upper harness for the fuel injectors
New gauge cluster
New fuel pressure regulator
New Battery
New Spark Plug Wires
New Spark Plugs
New Radiator Hoses
New Vacuum Hoses
New Starter

Parts that aren't new to this rebuild but have less than 20k on them
155lb hr fuel pump
New IAC
New EGR sensor
New Distributer Cap
New Ignition Coil
New Ignition Control Module

Last edited by jthorn9; 03-29-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

The check engine light will come on and goes right off for short periods of time. Two of the three shops tried to pull codes neither had any luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Gasoline goes bad in about 4-6 months after it's pumped. Drain it and refill.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

****I edited my original post. ****

So please re-read it. Tried to explain it a little better.

The car has better gas in it now and runs a little smoother but this oddball issue still remains.

I'm thinking the temperatur control sensor may be bad. Anybody else think this would cause this problem. To my knowledge that sensor is as old as the car. And the temperature gauge does not function dispite this being a new cluster. The old one did not function either.

BTW any ideas on the odometer not functioning, again old cluster it quit working as well.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Temp sensors for the computer and gauge are different, not linked.

As far as the running issue, my best guess is the PIP is dead. I'd say TFI, but those rarely go on SN95's.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

New distributer too, so it is very unlikely it's the PIP.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9

BTW any ideas on the odometer not functioning, again old cluster it quit working as well.
If your speedo doesnt work than thats your issue, and will need a new speedo cable if not you probably need a new speedo cluster!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

All other gauges work. Just the odometer and temperature gauge that doesn't. Old cluster neither worked as well.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

OK. Next guess is stuck open EGR. Really every sensor that you listed as "old but not replaced" can cause your symptoms. Test them 1 by 1, you'll find the culprit.

Quick Reply: Sluggish Start