5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do I get this out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 AM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Talking How do I get this out?

How do I get the bushing out??

I am putting these in: *still kinda confused at to exactly how these go in*

Already put these in:

Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need a special tool to pull them in..I used a friends when I did mine, you can drive them out with an air hammer but to put them back in either need the tool or a combination of the right sized sockets, thread rod and washer = make shift tool.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

The easiest and most popular way to replace those bushings is to leave the shell that surrounds the rubber in place and use a drill to make multiple holes in the bushing... enough so you can pry what's left out with a screwdriver. Then buy replacement bushings without the shell, just the rubber, and simply push them in.

If you are absolutely hell bent on replacing the whole bushing (shell and all) you'll have no choice but to press them out and press the new ones in using special tools or home-made ones like mjr46 mentioned... a LOT harder to do than what I described.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

yeah i found that out the hard way... had to rent a press. I drilled out the old (original) bushings. then torched them and scraped them out. Took FOREVER!!!! Then to press the new ones in was even harder. Harder on the one side cause the diff was sticking out couldnt quite get the press in place. Plus the damn press weighs like i swear 50 lbs holding that up for hrs is a B! I swear if i wasnt determined and or had alot of patience this wouldnt have been done. All and all i got the steeda uppers in and lower granateli's. Prob like 12 hrs total but working totally by myself. all hand tools
Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

That builds character.........
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

If you got skills with a torch
use it burn the rubber out and then very carefully melt the outter race
Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by im_stuck_in_iraq
yeah i found that out the hard way... had to rent a press. I drilled out the old (original) bushings. then torched them and scraped them out. Took FOREVER!!!! Then to press the new ones in was even harder. Harder on the one side cause the diff was sticking out couldnt quite get the press in place. Plus the damn press weighs like i swear 50 lbs holding that up for hrs is a B! I swear if i wasnt determined and or had alot of patience this wouldnt have been done. All and all i got the steeda uppers in and lower granateli's. Prob like 12 hrs total but working totally by myself. all hand tools
ouch....12 hrs......time is money to me......for 37 beans you could of reduced that to 25 min... for future reference >>>>>>>>>

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...m-Bushing-Tool
Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
ouch....12 hrs......time is money to me......for 37 beans you could of reduced that to 25 min... for future reference >>>>>>>>>

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...m-Bushing-Tool
damn that would have saved me alot of time
Old 04-09-2012, 03:51 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

plus i put the them on the wrong side cause the sway bar wouldnt line up so had to swap them... then had problems greasing them up small grease zerts that came with granatellis sucked badddd some of them would grease ok like 1 of them greased so i replaced them with bigger zerts. then my grease gun wouldnt work so i got another one... just nothing worked perfect ever ... took wayyyy longer