93 mustang not starting - MustangForums.com

Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

93 mustang not starting

Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
1fast Lorinser

Default 93 mustang not starting

My 1993 5.0 mustang wont start, the engine does not turn over it just click click clicks away, I got it to turn the motor over 2 or 3 times and then it went back to click click click. I check most of the wires and everything checked out fine. The starter is brand new and the battery is fully charged also with the booster connected to it just to keep it fully juiced. Any ideas? or simple tests I can run?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM
mustangaod

did you check starter solenoid? its on drivers side fenderwall. if you cross the 2 bolts with a screwdriver and the car starts its your solenoid.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
1fast Lorinser

I'll try that right now and get back to you. Thanks for the tip
Old 04-24-2012, 04:37 PM
1fast Lorinser

Ok so did the screw driver trick on the solenoid and it still just clicks clicks clicks! I also turned the motor a few times with a breaker bar from the crank pulley just to maybe free it up because its been sitting for a while but still just clicking away! anybody help please!?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
mustangaod

hmm i would think it was the solenoid. only time ive got a click and no start that was it. was key in on position? you sure you have enough juice in the battery? maybe check wires on solenoid especially one that goes to starter since you put a new one in. also make sure solenoid is tightened up , the 2 bolts that hold it on the car is what grounds it. the tumbler for ignition is also known to go on those year mustang but that wouldnt usually cause it to click. could possibly tho. i would check all wires and then start changing ignition parts. you know its not starter or solenoid that only leaves ignition.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM
1fast Lorinser

Talking

I spent 4hrs straight today working on it and trying to figure out whats going on. After checking everything and making sure everything was working properly I decided to make sure I was getting a good connection which I was with the power wires but wasn't so sure about the ground so I added my own separate ground wire from the starter bolts straight to the negative terminal on my battery and WALLAAA!!! good as new. So for anyone out there that might have a common issue or maybe the same issue try this method, Hope it can help fellow mustang owners out there.
Thanks to everyone else that gave me suggestions and tips.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 AM
Anthony John Everman

them solinoids are horrible on 5.0s its bad.. i had sam problems with my 91 and also watch out for that altenator wire that likes to catch on fire from the stock harness!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

I usually take a pair of jumper cables and connect one wire from neg battery to body, next wire is engine to body (starter grounds through engine), that usually gives me a hint.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Michael Spaeth

I am having this same problem and used the same tests for the solenoid and even bought a new starter. What gauge wire did you use to run that ground from the battery to the neg starter bolt?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Think I may be in love with this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 mustang not starting

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.