5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

aod problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM
mustangaod

Default aod problems

i have a 90 gt aod mustang. put a performance transmission in. transgo shift kit oversized bands 2200 rpm stall. havent been able to lock 1st gear. also has a b&m hammer shift. so i was told to change valve body. put a manual shift valve body in. supposed to lock gears at wide open throttle but drive like an automatic under normal throttle. still doesnt hold first gear. holds second. will hold 3rd if i keep it floored but otherwise just jumps to o.d. so 2nd gear is the only gear doing what its supposed to. i put it in d(which is 2nd for that shifter) and it will stay there all day long until you manually shift it. 1st gear i cant even get more than 3000 rpms out of before it shifts to 2nd. so basicly the one 1 section on my shifter is useless. i know all about tv cable and have adjusted every way possible so i know thats not it. im thinking some kind of adjustment on shifter itself? any one have any experience with b&m hammer shifter? im running out of ideas. i started with hi po tranny, $1200, then shifter $150 then manual shift valve body $300 and this tranny still wont do what its supposed to. im at a loss and any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated. i have no garages around me that will even look at it. because nothing is stock, they want nothing to do with it.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

call a place like lentech who specialize in these and ask them the question
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

you did something wrong...the aod shift positions have 1-d-od like you said

so in 1...it should NEVER shift

locking out 2-3 shift is what needs to be done, since 4 will never shift at WOT
Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Jabtyson34

I'd try playing with the linkage. Put it in first manually when you're under the car, then tighten up the shift linkage. You may have to do it a few times to get it in the right spot where you can still get it into park easily.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

you will forever have problems like this with an aod unless you purchase one from lentech. i went through 2 aods before i converted to a c4. couldnt be happier now
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

The shifter cables are a headache to adjust and get right you have to have you and a friend to move the shifter and you adjust the cable and make sure it hits every gear. the reg aod is a pain all together getting it to hold 2nd you shift to drive then back to 1.
You cant get a manual vlv body for the aod its a manual/auto, there are no oversized bands just a wider OD band option!

You filled it to the 12.5 quarts it holds right?

If it is going from 1-2 then holding 2 then 3 then od you prolly are off on the linkage and starting in d instead of 1 it will shift spuratically if so from 1-2-1-2 and then 3 then od but you wont feel it, it happens pretty fast and feels like it holds 2, a shift kit should have had a OD hi rev governer upgrade also so you can keep it out of od until you are at a cruise load and speed.

What brand vlv body did you use?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
mustangaod

Default this is the valve body

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...T1=PA53301H+01
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Venomantidote95;7926049]The shifter cables are a headache to adjust and get right you have to have you and a friend to move the shifter and you adjust the cable and make sure it hits every gear. the reg aod is a pain all together getting it to hold 2nd you shift to drive then back to 1.
You cant get a manual vlv body for the aod its a manual/auto, there are no oversized bands just a wider OD band option!

QUOTE]

Lets not scare people here.. Adj a shifter cable is the easiest thing you can do.., just have a buddy run thru the gears as you look under car! No effense!

And if you are having problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and holding 2nd then i would check your reflexes our your shifter cable kuzz in all my aod's it was easy as butter 1st to D then to 1st back down to hold 2nd.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
mustangaod

its going on the lift this weekend and we are gonna see if the shifter cable needs adjustment. i know the odd shift pattern of the aod but this valve body eliminates the the shuffle shift. just have to get it to hit 1st gear. ill post any progress
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Goodluck!

Quick Reply: aod problems