5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Questions before I buy??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Cdawg2tha11

Post Questions before I buy??

Ok today I went and looked at a 1994 5.0 Stang at a local lot. Ive owned a 94 v6 for about 3 years now and am pretty comfortable with knowing where everything is and how the car drives and should act. I test drove this one and noticed a few major differences and am wanting to know if its just how the GTs are or if its a problem.

1. The car stays at high RPMs at low speeds even in fourth gear. Example I was going about 50 mph and in 4th it was running about 2500 rpms. My V6 in 3rd can run 45 mph and barely be in the 2000 rpm range. Is this normal for the 5.0s?

2. It already has a cold air intake installed but the small tube (same as the one on my car) running from the valve covers going into the intake system was missing. Does this affect any idling or ^^^^ RPM issues?

other than that the car looked and ran great but dont want to jump into something I cant dig myself out of. Any help or advice would be great cuz im really wanting to get out of this dang V6.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Cdawg2tha11

Also the temp gauge went all the way up during the test drive. When i got back to the lot the radiator cap was ice cold but the upper radiator hose was extremely hot. Does this mean just the thermostat might be stuck closed or some other serious issue? The guy didnt seem to know a lot about the car and when i brought up these issues he acted like he didnt know about any of them. Just trying to get all the info i can so I dont get the shaft.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Personally if the car ran hot on a test drive, I wouldn't buy it. You may put a thermostat in it and it be fine but, I would leave it.

The tube missing will cause a vacuum leak if not plugged. It will cause all kinds of problems. All it really is is a way to vent the crankcase.

The rpm thing may be caused by having a different gear ratio. The 95s with an auto were pretty slow.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Cdawg2tha11

Its a manual. And I figured that hose wasnt a huge issue. I just want to be able to know if i can fix all this or not. Or get the dealer to fix these issues so he can sell this car.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM
mxbadboy03

i have a 95 5.0 idk what gear but i dont think its stock and its a manual with cold air intake and headers and my speedo is off some idk how much but my car stays around 2000 to 2500 in 4th and 5th driving around i got on the high way today and was maybe running 70 75 at the max and was at 3000 or so not below it tho also depending on how long u drove it my 95 will go close to the hot level it will get right art the L in normal b4 the it starts to cool down i love my car tho
Old 05-19-2012, 10:49 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

The tube being missing isn't technically a vacuum leak, but it will be past the maf sensor and this is called "unmetered air". It can absolutely cause issues such as chugging, should be fixed asap. Do not hit wot with this issue.

The cooling issue sounds like a thermostat, check the fluid level first though.

The higher rpms sounds like its just gearing, your v6 is probably more geared to save gas.

The 2 actual issues, if you're really interested in buying I would talk to the dealership about fixing them before planning a purchase.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Save yourself the trouble and pass on it. There is more than enough good deals out there on some very nice 94-95 GTs. I payed 3900.00 for my 94 GT with 100,000 miles knowing the throwout bearing was toast and the A/C didnt work. 2 weeks after i bought it there was 3 diffrent 94-95 GTs that came up for sale that all had lower mileage and were in better overall condition. I should have passed but i was stupid. Dont buy a car with known problems unless you can fix them yourself for cheap. Im a mechanic so i was able to do all my repairs for next to nothing.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Nav50
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
The tube being missing isn't technically a vacuum leak, but it will be past the maf sensor and this is called "unmetered air". It can absolutely cause issues such as chugging, should be fixed asap. Do not hit wot with this issue.

The cooling issue sounds like a thermostat, check the fluid level first though.

The higher rpms sounds like its just gearing, your v6 is probably more geared to save gas.

The 2 actual issues, if you're really interested in buying I would talk to the dealership about fixing them before planning a purchase.
Not to hijack your thread Cdawg, but one thing here may pertain to my 5.0. My 5.0 started "chugging" or felt like it was missing when I WOT sometimes, could that be due to the tube? I added a K&N cold air, but I didn't have this problem at first. I thought it might be because I needed to recalibrate my MAF to the new filter. This could solve a huge issue..
Old 05-22-2012, 02:31 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Is the tube off? Because yes it could very well cause it. Basically what happens is since the maf can only read the air that passes through it, the extra air leans out the mixture.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Nav50
1st Gear Member

If it is still on, is there anyway to recalibrate the MAF to read for the new filter?

Quick Reply: Questions before I buy??