5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

clutch going out or trans slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Default clutch going out or trans slipping?

So if i ease on throttle it goes but if i stab it / WOT the engine revs up like it has no load and then it eventually catches...sounds like clutch is out to me but i just changed transmissions an something is up i think..could the transmission itself slip like that or would that have to be the clutch just going out? havent smelld any burning clutch smells and this only started once i threw this "new" trans in..and usually in 2nd sometimes in 3rd when i shift into the gear i feel like a vibration that i want to say is coming from the driveshaft or yoke...guess ima pull my yoke off an check if there's any splines left..almost feels like my yoke is stripped out somehow maybe from the old trans but yeh any input? like could a transmission slip like that? hard to explain but hopefully u guys got the jist of it..I had a kinda older post with some back info if helps or anyone interested in my damn issues : )

older thread here
https://mustangforums.com/forum/show...3&goto=newpost
Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Makes sense if it's a clutch issue, thats how they act when they're glazed over. A T5 can't slip like that.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

+ 1 on clutch.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

uhg okkk thanks for input..any preferance on a good clutch to get? or stock one from autozone / kragen guna b sufficient? like any noticable performance differences with better clutch plates? i've heard of a dual friction clutch which i think has two clutch plates..?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
Makes sense if it's a clutch issue, thats how they act when they're glazed over. A T5 can't slip like that.
what do you mean when u say "glazed over" is it done or is that just a temporary issue? doubt it temp lol my luck is too sucky for that : )
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

well your clutch is the same principal as your brakes, and you know you want your pads to be rough so they grip better, same applies to your clutch disc. Glazed means they smooth out and create a shiney surface. Sand paper can fix the issue but I guess it would depend on how old the clutch is.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

sand paper huh? might aswell just replace the damn thing..could it fix itself at all? the clutch isnt that old and i havent smelled any burnt clutch smell..i did have my clutch cable adjusted a bit too tight the other day only ran it for like a couple hours like that an really didnt smell anything..uhg pretty sure i gotta do a rear main seal anyways an guess clutch needs replacement uhg just got finished puttn my trans in for the 2nd time! lol wish i knew before i put it all back together! : ) oh well..uhm still curious if i should upgrade my clutch to something "performance" / aftermarket but dunno if its worth the extra cash...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Nah it wont fix itself, only get worse.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

hey could a bad clutch make it harder to get into gears? like could it cause a gear to grind at all? i was goin up a hill n at a kinda highish rpm tried goin into 2nd(from 1st) an like pretty major grind before i could slam it in there...?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

You will need to replace the clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw-out bearing.
You will also need to have your flywheel resurfaced by a machine shop.

There is nothing in a manual transmission that can "slip".

Last edited by Old Mustanger; 06-14-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: clutch going out or trans slipping?