5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pilot bearing install gone wrong! : (

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 AM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Default pilot bearing install gone wrong! : (

i've been posting a lot about transmission stuff recently cuz my t5 blew n had to get a new one. New one leakd super bad so exchanged it for a dif new one, right after i installed the 2nd new trans my clutch went out uhg so pulled it all out an realized my pilot bearing had been demolished by i assume the original t5 that went bad.. took me hours to chizzel out cuz i forgot to get the special tool! doh but finally got it out an went to put new one in at first it wasnt flush/lined up straight so hammerd it in so it looked pretty dang flush an lined up straight but for some reason i could only get the damn trans in all the way except for like 1/2 an inch an i assume that is the trans hittin the pilot bearing instead of going in...had to go to work already lost one day of work to the admn bearing thing so i was able to get a couple bolts from trans to bellhousing while i was 1/2 inch out an i just tighted the trans up to the bell tried rotating the input shaft at tail end an it rotated fine so said screw it maybe it found its place lol LOL uhg not my luck now if i drive over 3,000 rpms sounds horrible~! an loss of pwoer big time n lots of vibration in stick/tranny lol UHG if its not one thing its another! : ) uhm any advice on the proper installation of a pilot bearing i mean i researched before i posted an noticed a couple other people had same issue before all ive heard was have someone push clutch down while u try n slide the trans in..i tried using a c clamp to keep fork engaged but still no luck..ima pull it all out again (4th weekend in row) n i cant wait to see how F'd up the bearing is lol i hope it cant ruin the new trans or something..uhg an i actually changed clutch brands an got a stock replacement kit from kragen but now my adjustable cable has to be adjusted allll the way in order for my pedal to even work an only time it does is alll the way to the floor...uhg any input?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 AM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

pilot bearings should go in pretty easy. one methond of getting them out is supposed to be is using a greese gun and the bearing should pop out. It kinda sounds like your bearing is the wrong size, or when you chizzled it out you messed up the metal surrounding it. pull it back out, clean the metal with some sand paper and make sure the new bearing goes in easy. Thats my only thought.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nightcrawler52
pilot bearings should go in pretty easy. one methond of getting them out is supposed to be is using a greese gun and the bearing should pop out. It kinda sounds like your bearing is the wrong size, or when you chizzled it out you messed up the metal surrounding it. pull it back out, clean the metal with some sand paper and make sure the new bearing goes in easy. Thats my only thought.
Doesn't always go like that. I usually use the wet paper and a socket method to remove, but I have had to cut them out with a dremel before.

As for the OP's problem, I am not seeing the pilot bearing causing that much trouble. I bet since you drove it, everything has settled and you will be able to tighten it down the rest of the way.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

If the clutch assembly was not properly centered, the vibrations could be quite significant. Since the OP had such a hard time lining up & installing the transmission, I would assume that some part of the clutch assembly was not properly centered.

The pilot bearing is automatically centered by way of the crankshaft. The pressure plate is centered by it's attachment points. But the clutch plate must be manually centered with a proper centering tool.
If all the components are properly centered, the transmission should slide home fairly easily. With the description that the OP gave with having to draw the trans tight with the mounting bolts, I would think that the clutch plate was not properly centered with the pilot bearing. The OP needs to start over with a new pilot bearing and proper alignment tools.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Im down with OPP haha ahem but ok cool thanks for all the input guys..As for the removal I just go rent the tool from autozone for some reason i forgot all about it n thought i could just pop it out lol it was late at night ok : ) idiot i know but im not a total idiot im done clutch /trans jobs before but never had this issue..I use the alignment tool for the clutch disc and i tighten the pressure plate really good so the disc doesnt fall/slip out of place and i mean once the pilot bearing is flush in there its basically centered..I am going to pull it all apart again over the weekend an get another new pilot bearing to install again..when i chizzled the old f'd one out i took a long time to d o so as to not damage the crankshaft and i have to say it was kindof haha kindof worth the time an effort because i really didnt damage or even effect the crankshaft but when i take it all apart ill look again an use sandpaper where needed..So Old stanger thinks my problem was with lining up the clutch disc? guess that could make sense..and as for retightening the trans since its been run im pretty sure i tightend the hell out of it in the first place an it really sounds horrible starting at 3k rpm i really havent been even revving it up there because of the vibration/noise...i know this job should be easy ive done it before with no issues...uhg an as for the clutch assembly needing to be tightend all the way an still barely working unless all the way to the floor is unknown to me..guess ill post more over the weekend when i see wtf is up...Thanks again for the input totally useful