5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cam installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default cam installation

how hard is it to install a new camshaft, what special tools are required etc.

its the one mod i regret not doing when i installed new cylinder heads.

i am mechanically inclined and rebuilt the top end of my motor but never went any deeper than the lower and upper intake. the heads were done by a proffessional shop. everything else on the car ive done except the body work. so i do have some "know how" ability.

then my next question would be what type of cam and how do i know it will work with my cylinder heads. i have the gt40 alumin X heads.

anyone is in the nyc area and want to help. ill pay in pizza and beer and guarantee a good time and greesy hands. lol
Old 06-11-2012, 01:27 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

wow so i guess its that hard since no one responded. lol
Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM
adrnlnjnky700
2nd Gear Member

well i just got done doing my about a month ago and it was my first time. i did the whole top end. It was a lot easier actually then i thought it was going to be. dont forget to pull the lifters so your not digging them out of your oil pan. the hardest part for me was making sure when i put the heads back on that i adjusted my rocker arms correctly(which was also my first time so i was a little nervous) i would say tear it apart, if ya get stuck let us know. Check, check, and triple check your work. cant really give ya any advice on the which cam you should use, i like mine that i have in there now, its comp cams XE270HR. give them a call tell them your mods and where you plan on going with the car and they might be able to help you out.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

thanks. but thats just it. im not sure whats involved, tightening the rockers, lifters etc. if i had a step by step guide on how to do it. im sure itd be a piece of cake. the thought of relatively how cheap it is and the benefit of added horsepower and a nice added rumble thru the exhaust peaks my curiosity to do this mod.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 AM
adrnlnjnky700
2nd Gear Member

well you dont do anything with lifters, they just sit in there, a lot of people say to keep them lubed up while there out so i did that. but the tightening of the rocker arms, well i just googled installing 89 mustang rocker arms and about a million threads popped up with people doing it. I was pretty sure i was doing it right, and since it was my first time and i really wanted to learn i was willing to accept that i might be doing this wrong and it could break something, luckily at the turn of the key and now a month later she is still running good. And what a huge difference those mods made for my exhaust sound, I love it.