5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

installed new driveshaft now trans leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Default installed new driveshaft now trans leak?

I installed a aluminum driveshaft today that I got used ( probably a bad idea I see now) I got it installed and everything fine. Nd wen I was driving a notice smoke. Looked under my car nd now there's trans fluid leaking out from somewhere where the yoke is. Its hard to tell what part its leaking out of because tthe seal is dry nd the u joints where soak sprying fluid everywhere. Has anyone every experinced this after installing a new driveshaft? Does anyone have anyy idea wat it could be? I would appericate any ideas. Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

try a new seal, you may have rolled the lip upon install and you mention it was used then in a sentance later...new?? which is it?? check the yoke for a groove if it is used
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

The seal is dry, it almost seems like its cming out of the other end of the yoke? Or smething its weird. What do you mean by groove? The yoke seemed in good condition nd was smooth. The driveshaft is used sorry by new I ment different one in there car. My stock one didn't leak at all
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

yep you should definatly change the seal especially when you install a used shaft.
+1 on the groove. I had a torque converter once that had a very slight wear groove in it and would not seal at all. The groove may only be a couple thousands and may only be able to just feel it but it will still leak and even more so with the old seal.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

The seal nd the part of the yoke sticking out of it slightly seem to be dry. I wil check again tomorow but it seems to be coming from the u joint area. I'm pretty sure I'm having the exact same problem this guy is having. http://sn95forums.com/showthread.php...ny-seal.-Ideas . Has anyone esle ever experenced this?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Per your link:
"At the back of the yolk (u-joint end) there is a plug. This plug kinda resembles a freeze out plug in an engine block. You will have to look up between the u-joint and the butt end of the yolk to see it real well.

During the manufacturing of the yolks splines, a pilot hole is bored completely through the yolk and the splines are machined. The last thing added to complete the part is a plug at the rear. I had this plug fall out on my '69 Road Runner. Leaked like a pig!

We just disassembled the front u-joint and welded a round flat piece of 1/16" steel into the small well that the OEM plug fit into and that was it. Problem solved. It'll be a little different as your welding aluminum but no real biggie..............

GT"
News to me, but well learned news. +1 to knowledge.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

hmm I just replaced the front and rear u joints in mine and i dont remember seeing a hole int the end of it but then i didnt look for one either lol. interesting.....+2
Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

i am gona check again tomorow with the car jacked up so i can see better, but i am almost sure thats where the fluid is coming from. i will keep you guys posted. gna try some jb weld if thats the case lol. do the aluminum driveshafts use different yokes than stock does anyone know?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Nope same ones. As far as the hole goes, you shouldn't be able to see it. It's a guide hole for the machining process, but gets capped before shipping. Supposedly it's that cap that is leaking.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

so i got the drive shaft out, and the end cap for the yoke is completely missing, wtf? how does that even happen. i guess i learned my lesson on buying used ****t. now i have to buy a new yoke im assuming. between time nd this **** mite as well of jus bought a new one, ****in scumbags

Quick Reply: installed new driveshaft now trans leak?