5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

95 GT, 302

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM
albertafemale

Smile 95 GT, 302

Was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for what i can do to get more horsepower out of a 302. I have an extra one and would like to rebuild it.
thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 12:11 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Well Im surprised that nobody has said it, but how much you wanna spend.
Best way is heads cam and intake. But a good exhaust over stock with deleted cats is good for a little bit. A set of underdrive pullys will free up some of the existing hp.
You want to put a lot more torque to the ground go from the stock rear gears to a set of 3.73.
Horsepower is all about how much money you can spend.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Well Im surprised that nobody has said it, but how much you wanna spend.
Best way is heads cam and intake. But a good exhaust over stock with deleted cats is good for a little bit. A set of underdrive pullys will free up some of the existing hp.
You want to put a lot more torque to the ground go from the stock rear gears to a set of 3.73.
Horsepower is all about how much money you can spend.
Damn it, you beat me to it!

To answer your question, first we'll need a ballpark number you're looking to spend. Increasing power can range from simple bolt ons/boost/stroker kits/nitrous/etc etc. The list goes on. Are you going to do the work yourself or pay someone? You'll have to do some homework before you can start looking at parts, starting with your engine block for example. Are you planning on making 500+ horsepower? I would probably rethink the block, as they tend to crap out somewhere around there.

If you're looking for a little extra umph, then I would suggest looking into gears, ^^^ as stated above, and get rid of the garbage E7 boat anchors Ford calls cylinder heads. An upgraded exhaust is a nice addition as well

The list can go on and on... What's your budget?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 PM
albertafemale

well i don't want a racing machine i just want some more umph! lol expense really i have no limit, and yes my hubby is doing the work himself. We allready have the second motor torn down to the block and was thinking to have it machined out maybe a bigger cam? Really i am stupid to this so i am hoping for some expertise from ppl who know. can you give me some references where i can read up on it? i have searched and not really finding anything
thanks for your replies
Old 08-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by albertafemale
well i don't want a racing machine i just want some more umph! lol expense really i have no limit, and yes my hubby is doing the work himself. We allready have the second motor torn down to the block and was thinking to have it machined out maybe a bigger cam? Really i am stupid to this so i am hoping for some expertise from ppl who know. can you give me some references where i can read up on it? i have searched and not really finding anything
thanks for your replies
I would suggest this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K514-360350B/

That would net you around 300 hp to the wheels, or a little over 100 hp over stock (to the wheels). You'll need a tune, however. I would also swap out the cam in the kit to the TFS Stage 2. I have a buddy who ran this, its a nice "off the shelf" cam.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

yep ^^ what he said
When I got my car it was just a roller so the engine opted to put back in it was an 89 block. I think the 89 block will be able to handle a bit more eventually if i ever get the money to do every thing.
But if you can get that block you have now to run 300 hp and put some 3.73 gears in the rear youll have one heck of a fun car to drive. And all those ppl out there with there tug boat ls1 engines will be left lookin like an owl.