5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ok what the........

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:32 PM
klown
1st Gear Member

Default ok what the........

why do i have to take my egr valve off like every month and clean the stupid thing. it causes the check engine light to come on. i clean it and the light goes off. 3 weeks or so later the light is back on again. please someone explain to me what to do to stop this madness.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ok what the........

is the smog pump bypassed? heads could be clogged up with gunk from the egr tubing on back of heads
Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 AM
LS2_GTO
1st Gear Member

Get it to the shop and replace the EGR and Catalytic Converter(s).... I had this happen to me before and if you don't fix it right you could ruin a good engine. (I can't guarantee that is your problem, it was definately mine) it ran like a new car after that.

Symptoms I had:

Bogging during heavy acceleration
Black smoke
Dirty EGR (first symptom) with check engine light
Poor gas mileage
Consistently felt like it was loosing HP

Good luck in your diagnosis!!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

one reason not to bypass smog for long periods of time
Old 09-28-2005, 02:07 PM
klown
1st Gear Member

no the smog pump is not bypassed. it is a cali car. i never bypassed it after i got it here. i have no lose in hp. i was told yesterday by a friend that i need to rebuild because my bearings are going bad. my oil pressure is crap. the oil pressure prob came after wal-mart put a fram oil filter on the car. stupid ppl lol. there is no way of proving that that is what caused it but im sure it is. could my bearings going bad be the cause of my egr clogging up so quick?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:20 PM
klown
1st Gear Member

ok so here it is. i have to rebuild. any help on this touchy subject (might make me cry lol) because as we all know im no mech. what all do i need to do the bearings.