5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

Default transmission

hey guys I have this problem with my car that I finally have tracked down to what I believe is the transmission. When the car is cold it has some terribly shifting problems and is more apparent now with the winter coming. The rpms on my car become very jumpy until my car shifts its a automatic by the way. There is also a pretty large leak that has appeared from no where it will drip about a twelve inch spot in a little more than 24 hours. so my questions is could the leak be causing my shifting problems I heard automatics rely on pressure. I have checked the fluid its really clean and I also replaced the pan gasket and filter.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

well it sounds like the first thing you need to do is clean the transmission off so you can pinpoint where the leak is coming from. What shifting problems are you refering to? slipping? shimmy? hard shifts?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

I dont know what shimmy is. when I accelerate the rpms are really jumpy like its trying to shift but wont. a couple times ive had my rpms go as high as 5500 but my speed is decreasing because it wont shift and im going up hill it almost seems like something is maybe sticking and not allowing it to shift and once it is heated up it stops sticking. it usually shifts but there is a serious hesitation before it shifts sometimes the car will even pull back on me. The leak seems to be coming from the rear of the trans I have not been able to look up at it cuz its so low to the ground but from the drip on the ground it seems pretty far back maybe output shaft.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Check the fluid level, change the fluid and filter, yes that would be the output seal. It is slipping on you while it is still cold. Does the car have any codes?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

nope no codes I just barely changed the fluid and filter though. Do you think the leak could be causing the slipping?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

No, if a leak was causing you to lose enough line pressure to not shift right then it would **** out...not leak...
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 PM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

had a check engine light today after weeks of having this problem code reads torque converter clutch control continuous slip error dont know what exactly to fix but I have not researched yet.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Not an easy fix.

Intermittent harness continuity
Damaged TR sensor(trans range)
Damaged shift solenoid
Worn friction elements

Bring to a trans shop soon, it's gonna go bang.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Does this happen in every gear or is it the same gear everytime? At least now you have a code to point you in a "general" direction..... Nothing you can do yourself so get a professional to look at it before it gets worse and costs you more..
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
gyouska
1st Gear Member

it only really slips if I accelerate fast it shifts fine if I take it slow.

Quick Reply: transmission