5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Suddenly no oil pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 AM
duncan01
1st Gear Member

Default Suddenly no oil pressure!

Ive read on this for about a week now and cant really find the answer. So here goes. 88 lx coupe ssp stock lower end rebuild with about 1000 miles on it. Ive only owned the car for about 4 weeks. Backed out of the garage oil psi was lower than half on stock gauge all of a sudden no psi. Revved it up just a tad to get back in the garage and noticed if i revved it psi would shoot up to normal then fall off. Went to the store and picked up a mechanical and electronic gauge and new stock sending unit. All three showed NO psi. The last time i fired the car with the last gauge it fired fine then heard a tick like it was the lifters and killed it fast. Pulled the distributor and put an extension on the shaft and pulled the sending unit and turned counter clock wise, oil came out of the sending unit hole but not at a great volume. Stuck an air hose up to the sending unit hole and pushed about 40psi through the hole to see if there was any resistance. It sounded very hollow through the distributor hole and had no resistance. Is it possible the pick up could have fallen off or the pump has unseated itself, or am I looking at bearing issues.
Motors comin out tomorrow and new pump, shaft, and pick up are going in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
duncan
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM
duncan01
1st Gear Member

Some body has to no something ...
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

It would be all guesswork, especially since you're well aware of any possible causes. Only thing you seem to have neglected is oil filter. They're capable of stifling pressure to near 0. Might as well inspect the crank clearances if you're ripping the motor out and doing a pump, though.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM
duncan01
1st Gear Member

Thats what the intention is. The oil filter is a motorcraft. I havent pulled it and looked for metal or anything yet. I quess you could say im just looking for someone to say in black in white no its not your bearings its....
It seems in other forums most people are quick to jump to the bearings and thats the last thing I want to hear.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 AM
duncan01
1st Gear Member

Were going to start pulling the motor and trans this afternoon. I will keep you guys posted with the end results. Why were at it were going to go ahead and completly reseal the trans cause it makes a nice little puddle after every time I drive it. My buddy and well respected mustang mechanic in our area dosnt seem to think its a bearing issue, so keep your fingers crossed for us.

duncan
Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Cam bearings? If it has oil pressure when cold and once warm only rises in pressure with rpm will usually need to be replaced!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM
duncan01
1st Gear Member

The engine diddnt have enough time to warm up when it lost pressure still cold. Drained the oil and checked the filter, diddnt see any indication of metal. The motor should be on the stand be this afternoon so, may know somehthing buy tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM
duncan01
1st Gear Member

heres an update, the engine is on the stand. Valve covers are off, upper and lower intake are off. Pulled the pan, oil pump, shaft and pick up tube are all in great shape. Pressure tested the pump. Absolutely zero metal in the pan......
Gonna pull a couple main caps tomorrow and have a look in behind the timing cover hopefully a plug fell out
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

That would be a nice simple fix!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 AM
duncan01
1st Gear Member

Well we found the problem. My engine builder here in TN failed to brad the oil galley plugs. . One fell completely out and the other two were real close to falling out. So yes im thankful nothing else was destroyed thus far but I am still going to have words with my builder. Why we have the engine this far down were gonna go ahead and double check everything. We have already found many corners that were cut with this car which is probably why I got such a good deal on it.

IF YOUR GOING TO BUILD SOMETHING OR MODIFY SOMETHING DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have nice day,
Duncan

Quick Reply: Suddenly no oil pressure!