5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!!PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 PM
DaveAllred
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP!!PLZ

I have a 2.3l mustang and i wanna put a 5.0 into it. I know it would be easyier to have a full 5.0 and switch part for part, but would it be possible to get a 5.0 outta liek a mercury or a liclon and put it into a ford mustang, liek with a mustang wiring harness and computer. Or would my best bet be to put one in from a mustang. If you have a solid 5.0 motor blown or whatever with tranny wiring harness, computer the whole nine yards please get to me via e-mail DaveAllred@usa.com. Thank you. PLease help me again please
Old 12-16-2003, 12:22 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Default HELP!!PLZ

You can swap any 5.0 into a mustang.In fact theres not a ford V8 that comes to mind that you cant stuff or shoehorn into a mustang.</P>

What i would do would be find an EFI HO roller cammed 302 from any car,truck,or van and carb it.Its much cheaper,less hassles,and mods are very cheap.It also becomes much easier to work on and diagnose when problems arise.</P>

If you do choose to get an EFI and convert it over to carb make sure when you change the distributor which you will have to do to a 85 GT manual duraspark distributor with the steel gear and not the cast gear.Other than that its a very straight foward swap.You will need new motor mounts and stands,mechanical pickup in the gas tank,if your 2.3 has air you will already have a 2 core radiator and for a mild setup its ok but i recommend a 3 core or a 2 core aluminum,duraspark box and distributor,a new intake,and of course the carb.You will also need unless it has it a double hump cross member for the tranny to be able to run true duals.Some 4 cylinder cars came with it mine didnt.Your tranny will need to be swapped as well for either a manual of sorts,or an auto.If auto i recommend a c4 theyre bulletproof.If your car is an auto now it will have a 3.73 or 3.55 rear gear in the 7.5.The rear end is fine dont swap it.The 7.5's are underestimated quite a bit but they will hold up to alot of stress just dont run slicks on it you will be begging for problems.Other than that your are set.</P>

</P>

Feel free to ask anything you want about the swap i did it a few years back in my 89 Lx coupe.The link is http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/451949/1</P>