5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new to the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Seabee89

Default new to the 5.0

I am new to this forum, I just traded my 51' F1 for this 94 mustang, this is my first 5.0. These are the Mods that came with the Mustang

1994 Mustang GT
5.0 engine
GT40 Ported heads
Steeda #19 cam
Ford Motorsports intake/ mass air
32# Injectors
255 Fuel pump
BBK long tube headers
Offroad X pipe
flowmaster catback
Zoom stage 3 6 puk fully ceramic clutch
Ford Racing adjustable clutch cable
3:73 Gears
BBK throttle Body

Full rear suspension including upper and lower control arms and coil springs.
Bama racing tune with 4 settings from stock to race gas

I am thinking about changing the Bama chip to a more customizable Tuner, any suggestions? any other Mods i should add to my 5.0? All suggestions are appreciated
Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 AM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

First off, OBD1 computers do not have any manufactureres making tunere for them. I'd throw some underdrive pulleys, full MSD ignition system 6al ignition box, and bud unless you want big power adders you got most of what I want without taking in the $ effect.

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 AM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

One more thing, OEM clutch cables are better.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Seabee89

Sweet, and by big power adders i assume you mean turbos, superchargers and stroke kits? Down the road I might do something along the lines of that. right now i am still learning my options for the 5.0. This forum has been a lot of help, i have been reading other threads and by that alone feel much more confident in the 5.0 world
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Customizable Tuner - http://www.tweecer.com/
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Seabee89
I am new to this forum, I just traded my 51' F1 for this 94 mustang, this is my first 5.0. These are the Mods that came with the Mustang

1994 Mustang GT
5.0 engine
GT40 Ported heads
Steeda #19 cam
32# Injectors Too large for this engine build, 24lb are more adequate
255 Fuel pump Again, too large, this is for F/I applications
BBK long tube headers
Offroad X pipe
flowmaster catback
BBK throttle Body

I am thinking about changing the Bama chip to a more customizable Tuner, any suggestions? any other Mods i should add to my 5.0? All suggestions are appreciated
The Bama chip is about as good as you can do with out getting tuning software like the Tweecer RT or Anderson PMS.

As far as mods it depends on what you want out of the car. The GT-40 heads are being choked if your stock 5.0 H.O. intake is still being used. Upgrading to a GT-40 intake or other would be a better investment.

The GT-40 heads, even ported, are the second worst flowing heads you can put on a 5.0 aside from the stock E7 heads. Anything aftermarket would be a better investment and will shave off around 50lbs off the front of the motor. In order most people rank heads in the following by means of performance gains:
E7 (stock)
GT40 (Cobra)
GT40P (Explorer)
GT40X (FRP Racing)
Eddlebrock
Trickflow
AFR

The best gains will come from a supercharger. Dollar to horse power gain this is the best money can buy. Yes it cost the most, but as stated the yields to dollar is a much better ratio.

U/D pulleys are a complete waste, the concept is pretty cool, but they honestly don't do much of anything that will show proven gains at the track.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Quote:

1994 Mustang GT
5.0 engine
GT40 Ported heads
Steeda #19 cam
32# Injectors Too large for this engine build, 24lb are more adequate
255 Fuel pump Again, too large, this is for F/I applications
BBK long tube headers
Offroad X pipe
flowmaster catback
BBK throttle Body

The Bama chip is about as good as you can do with out getting tuning software like the Tweecer RT or Anderson PMS.

As far as mods it depends on what you want out of the car. The GT-40 heads are being choked if your stock 5.0 H.O. intake is still being used. Upgrading to a GT-40 intake or other would be a better investment.

The GT-40 heads, even ported, are the second worst flowing heads you can put on a 5.0 aside from the stock E7 heads. Anything aftermarket would be a better investment and will shave off around 50lbs off the front of the motor. In order most people rank heads in the following by means of performance gains:
E7 (stock)
GT40 (Cobra)
GT40P (Explorer)
GT40X (FRP Racing)
Eddlebrock
Trickflow
AFR

The best gains will come from a supercharger. Dollar to horsep power gain this is the best money can buy. Yes it cost the most, but as stated the yields to dollar is a much better ratio.

U/D pulleys are a complete waste, the concept is pretty cool, but they honestly don't do much of anything that will show proven gains at the track.
jthorn, I agree completely on everything you said, but just because you don't feel or see any gains doesn't mean its not building up the bigger stuff. now a cai is bs a stock paper one is just as good. Idc what anyone says. as far as smaller pulleys go its less resistance.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

OP,

Congrats on your first 5.0! You've have with a pretty solid setup as your starting point, which is sweet. Let me know if you have any questions about your next upgrade, I'm very familiar with the 94-95 5.0's. I even used to have a h/c/i '95 GT myself!

jthorn9,

The OP will be perfectly fine with a 255 fuel pump. The pump being "over kill" won't have any affect on his performance, if anything it's nice that it will support future mods. Don't forget, having a fuel pressure regulator allows him to run any sized pump he wants, without getting too much fuel pressure in the rails. Also, as long as the 32# injectors are tuned for, they will be perfectly fine as well. There's no need to change them as long as the PCM is adjusted for them.

Just wanted to make this clear, so the OP doesn't waste any money changing them!

Shane
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

1994 Mustang GT
5.0 engine
GT40 Ported heads
Steeda #19 cam
32# Injectors
255 Fuel pump
BBK long tube headers
Offroad X pipe
flowmaster catback
BBK throttle Body

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like it's already a well balanced package, not sure I'd do anything more myself.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
OP,

Congrats on your first 5.0! You've have with a pretty solid setup as your starting point, which is sweet. Let me know if you have any questions about your next upgrade, I'm very familiar with the 94-95 5.0's. I even used to have a h/c/i '95 GT myself!

jthorn9,

The OP will be perfectly fine with a 255 fuel pump. The pump being "over kill" won't have any affect on his performance, if anything it's nice that it will support future mods. Don't forget, having a fuel pressure regulator allows him to run any sized pump he wants, without getting too much fuel pressure in the rails. Also, as long as the 32# injectors are tuned for, they will be perfectly fine as well. There's no need to change them as long as the PCM is adjusted for them.

Just wanted to make this clear, so the OP doesn't waste any money changing them!

Shane
Very true, I meant to add in the 255lb hr would be better used with a supercharger should he take that route. But as stated you do not need to change it.

Quick Reply: new to the 5.0