5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Top engine build, Double checking! and question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Gt 5 point 0
1st Gear Member

Default Top engine build, Double checking! and question

Hey guys, on my 95 gt i am re-doing the top half. I just wanna make sure i got all the right parts needed for the job. PLEASE let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions!

Stuff I already have:

Trick flow Track heat Heads.
Trick flow Track head Intake. Upper/Lower
BBK 75MM Satin Throttle Body.

Things ill be getting.

24Ib Injectors.
Trick flow Stage 2 or 3 Cam
Maf( What MM should i get?)
Ford racing complete gasket set.
BBK Chrome short headers.
Smog pump delete.
SCT 4-Bank Eliminator Chip

Is there anything else i am forgetting to complete the job, ALSO is there any other tuners available for the 5.0 besides the SCT one sold on American muscle thats not to expensive. Please tell me what you think! THANK YOU!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 PM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

get some fuel rails, and are you doing your valve assembly to? I'd suggest a better timing chain. other than that your on the right path with it.

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 PM
429Boss

maybe some polyurethane motor mounts so your engine doesn't break free of the car, i got an 86 and mine are swiss cheese and get me worried
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Gt 5 point 0
Hey guys, on my 95 gt i am re-doing the top half. I just wanna make sure i got all the right parts needed for the job. PLEASE let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions!

Stuff I already have:

Trick flow Track heat Heads.
Trick flow Track head Intake. Upper/Lower
BBK 75MM Satin Throttle Body.

Things ill be getting.

24Ib Injectors.
Trick flow Stage 2 or 3 Cam
Maf( What MM should i get?)
Ford racing complete gasket set.
BBK Chrome short headers.
Smog pump delete.
SCT 4-Bank Eliminator Chip

Is there anything else i am forgetting to complete the job, ALSO is there any other tuners available for the 5.0 besides the SCT one sold on American muscle thats not to expensive. Please tell me what you think! THANK YOU!
Don't buy an MAF, but a 94/95 Cobra ECU. Works, much, much, much better with 24lb injectors as the ECU is mapped for those injectors. The after market MAFs all run rich.

Make sure you get aluminum head specific gaskets. This will save you trouble down the road.

I doubt the SCT chip will be properly programed with a canned tune, and unless a local shop has the software to reflash the chip then you're screwed. The Anderson PMS tuning system is probably the best thing you can get. Don't cut corners with tuning it cost more in the future to fix your mess ups than just buying the Anderson first. Trust me on this!!!

Buy AFR stud bolts for the heads they're much better than standard head bolts and have less tendency to back off over time.

You do not need fuel rails, your stock rails will support up to around 450-500 bhp.

Motor mounts, new water pump, and timing chain assembly would be an extremely wise decision. These don't cost all that much and again, can save trouble down the road. Do the job once and do it right.

A 110lb hr or 155lb hr fuel pump would be a wise investment as well to help meet your new fuel needs.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I think I would go with the long tube BBK headers, get some torque down lower in the RPM where you be able to use it.......
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Black90notch

long tube headers for sure
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I like the water pump, timing chain sugestion. I'd call trick flow about the cam. They dont recomend the stage 3 cam. The stage 2 will probably fit. Dont want your valves smacking your pistons. So give TF a call.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Gt 5 point 0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Don't buy an MAF, but a 94/95 Cobra ECU. Works, much, much, much better with 24lb injectors as the ECU is mapped for those injectors. The after market MAFs all run rich.

Make sure you get aluminum head specific gaskets. This will save you trouble down the road.

I doubt the SCT chip will be properly programed with a canned tune, and unless a local shop has the software to reflash the chip then you're screwed. The Anderson PMS tuning system is probably the best thing you can get. Don't cut corners with tuning it cost more in the future to fix your mess ups than just buying the Anderson first. Trust me on this!!!

Buy AFR stud bolts for the heads they're much better than standard head bolts and have less tendency to back off over time.

You do not need fuel rails, your stock rails will support up to around 450-500 bhp.

Motor mounts, new water pump, and timing chain assembly would be an extremely wise decision. These don't cost all that much and again, can save trouble down the road. Do the job once and do it right.

A 110lb hr or 155lb hr fuel pump would be a wise investment as well to help meet your new fuel needs.
thanks, im taking all your suggestions. But for the PMS tuner, I dont have $1000 to spend on one. I got REALLY lucky with the trick flow intake, heads and bbk TB. I got all those with under 125 miles on them for $1000. I didnt buy new, got them all checked and they are perfect. but $1000 for a tuner is a little much for me. also for the MAF. Would i jsut buy the ecu from cobra and keep the stock one? not to sure.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Don't forget to pick up a new set of hydraulic roller lifters, it's always a good idea to replace these when there's a bunch of miles on them. Also, I would upgrade to hardened push-rods as well. I believe the Trick Flow Stage1 camshaft revs a good bit higher than the factory GT.

I just wanted to get in these few suggestions before you finalize your budget. I hope this helps!

Shane