5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang heads and full bolt ons Possibly not running like it should be HELP!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

i already have teh 1.7 tricfklow rockers. Tonight i ran into another problem i was gunna make a post but everyone here seems very knowledgeable. More than me obviously in this whole field. I dont know jack **** about wiring grounds and all that but i had these aftermarket well ebay bullsh*t attach ons to replace the oem dash cluster such as the normal tach and the speedo. The ones the car came with were very dimmed the lights worked fine i just liked a certain one where you put over and they would allumintace in blue and red. My friend installed them back in september unfourtunately got locked away for some issues and got out recentoy so he was going to finish what he started.we took off the dash cover and cluster cover the clips to the headlight and fog light wires or relays ( i apoligize im still learning) and they grounded or connected wires to my radio but the new gauges did not work for some reason he suggested they shot or theres a fuse blown to the mother board that produces the lights or lamps or maybe the lamps were dead. Then while putting it back my headlights went on but my whole dash was darkened and my tailights would not go on. Only when i break and my hazards. So he thought a fuse was blown but my other friend that didnt work on it checked them for me and said they were all fine which they were, so personally i think there was some faulty wiring but he thinks something went wrong because when workingo n that stuff your supposed to sometimes disconnect the battery (this is not my mechanic friend). So i had to drive home in the sudden snow with my hazards on and a flashlight on my head keeping and eye on my speed on the highway lol. Rediculous stuff man
Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I think you need to get your car figured out this winter and then go to a real drag strip in the spring and really run it there and see what it runs.
Your friend in the car shop can find out if it's a stock cam by simply using a dail indicator to check lift. It's not real logical that someone would leave a stock cam in there when they did all the other work to the engine.
BTW, street racing never has measured anything except fines/sentences/lost cars, keep it on the strip......
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM
MyCobra4.6

A cam would bring all your engine mods to life .. I'd get the trickflow cam that's matched to your trickflow heads .. Getting a good matched combo is the key to a stout engine ..
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Blowed&Stroked

Originally Posted by IvanFiveLiter
yea about the displacement, it was supposedly bored to a 306. Unless you meaning doing a stroker? I was going to do a 331 stroker but my plans were to turbo it and al ot of people tell me ill make more power with boost with about the same money or even less. The thing is im still kind of nooby to all this advanced stuff but im surrounded by way more experienced friends and mechanics that do my work so theyd have to figure it out more.
I have a 331 stroker with an R block bored over. 2.02 valves. Afr heads. Vortech v3 blower. All the parts inside is where the power is made. My buddy added on heads and a blower and thought he was big stuff until we lined up. Smoked his doors off and he wondered why? Cause he thought with a charger and intake and other bolt ons he was gonna juice it and be a race car. He still had all stock internals and fuel system. The motor can't "breath" right till you make the internals as big as the bolt ons. My motor is next to bullet proof with all new forged internals so now its time to put in my fuel system and hopefully leave the 550+ rwhp range to around the 700 range. Good luck with the bolt on power but remember the real power comes from within
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

LOL that was some real zen master **** right there. Yoda.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
LOL that was some real zen master **** right there. Yoda.
bwwwwahhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Okay my friend is going to be taking care of all these issues and checking compression this week i just want to be clear on everything i should remind him about that you and everyone has told me Just a quick summary. We are checking the motor compression, checking for stock injectors and stock fuel pressure regulator, vaccum leaks, all the timing for the possible faulty intake installation, the fuel pressure. The guy above stated that he wouldnt go with the trickflow stage 2 cam because i didnt do the build and i dont know what valve train i have. So what would you say the timing should be set for and all these components as well as what my ratio should be or what it would be if its good,and how low would you say it would be if the car really was on low compression for the 150shot set up? Sorry to burden you with all that, a little advice from more experienced mustang owners is always good!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Blowed&Stroked

Maybe sell the stang and buy a civic? Jk! Nitrous could wear ur insides out and make it lag. And adding a turbo to it like that isn't gonna help any. Maybe do a rebuild on it, put some good pistons and cam. Build the internals up to bullet proof then save up n put a turbo on. That'll make for a better safer racer.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

yes i always thought about that too. What pistons would you recommend? Im not too familiar with aftermarket pistons i have just heard of diamond pistons. I looked into anderson cams and thought about that. I seen some guy on youtube (i know i shouldnt go by these examples) with trickflow heads victor efi intake stock block etc. basically a very simple setup full bolt on and heads with a anderson n 91 cam pistons and he was running low 11's with a 4:30 gear. I also have some minor scarring in my cylinder walls but i was told its not too detrimental.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
MyCobra4.6

Hey blowedandstroked, Didn't your friends cars blower come with matched injectors or fuel pump? I know pro-charger does and I spoke to a sales rep a while back from vortech said their kit comes with the injectors and fuel pump also