5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang heads and full bolt ons Possibly not running like it should be HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang heads and full bolt ons Possibly not running like it should be HELP!

Hey everyone i just posted this whole explanation but it did not appear on the forum forgive me if i repeat it anyway----- i have 1990 mustang gt hatchback with full bolt ons and heads. Trickflow heads, offroad h pipe, hooker longtube headers, flowmasters series 40 mufflers, 24 pound injectors, trickflow upper lower intake, cold air intake is unknown, stock cam supposedly, aluminum driveshaft,ac delete, 4:10 gears, tremec 3550 tranny, aftermarket clutch still need to find out what it is, i have lakewood 50 50 shocks in the back and drag springs. The car sits on ROH rims and has 275 40 17's in the back normal street tires very meaty and tons of tread. I ran my friends 2008 coupe 5 speed honda civic on 93 octane shell v power gas. I say the v power because it supposed to be some special gas with additives and it did make his car a little faster supprisingly. so for ****s and giggles we ran 2 times once on a 20 roll and once from the dig. The 20 roll in 1st gear i took him by about 3 cars and i thought something was wrong, it was slightly damp because the weather had got very foggy last night but i still hooked it pretty good. Then the second time we did it from a dig and i took off hard around 3500 rpm and shockingly i barely spun. By the time i got to the middle of 4th gear i was only beating him by an estimate of like 6-7 cars which i was very dissapointed by how much work and money i put into this car to beat a stock civic id expect to take it by like 15 cars hahah. Also my and my friend were in the car, i weigh about 230 pounds with clothes on and hes about 215 with clothing. The civic had my friend and my other buddy weighing in at 170 and 178. the civic weighs about 2700 curb weight not sure what my mustang weighs. My spirits were kind of broken by all this and im afraid that i wont be taking any faster cars by much. PLEASE PEOPLE TELL ME IF SOMETHING IS WRONG AND ITS NOT MY DRIVING! Although from the dig run i shifted into 3rd and 4th at about 5200 rpm maybe a bit earlier but still it wouldnt be that much of a difference
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 AM
adrnlnjnky700
2nd Gear Member

sounds about right. 6 or 7 car lengths on a civic isnt bad when your only running probably less than 300whp if your lucky. A wins a win but if i was you i wouldnt expect to be beating anything much faster than that
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

oh i also forgot a 70mm throttle body an aftermarket fuel pump not that it matters but i forgot to mention it. That really bothers me =(. Id expect these things to take out other cars. I have plans to turbo it very soon but im just so dissapointed in the work it has now. I expected a lot more out of this car. I plan to also get drag radials and see what this thing runs in the 1/4 before i turbo it
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Car length means absolutely nothing in racing. It all comes down to your times. The faster you guys are going, of course its going to look like you are pulling on him because your speeds are higher, but your times are still very close.

I wouldn't worry about how much you were beating him car length-wise. Take them to the track and get some times!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

yea thats my only option. Ive seen many cars with setups similar to mine even with stock heads! and a good set of tires running mid 13's. Some guy with a dyno of 240whp in a 87 gt was running 13.4's for like 3 runs with stock 3.08 gears. My friend that has pretty good judgement and experience was assuming with the right tires not full slicks but a good radial tire that will fit on some welds that can also be street driven, will hopefully make my car run low 13's and if im lucky break a 12. Again your opinions are highly accepted and i always like different point of views. My buddys civic is taken down well on the websites that it runs around high 15's to low 16's
Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

With your setup i would think atleast low-mid 13's, maybe some juice to get in high 12's? Make sure you have no vacuum and exhaust leaks kuzz those 2 will take power away!

Last edited by Js88lx; 12-02-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

trick flow heads, tfs intake and stock cam = what did you expect...........to get more out of your combo there is a lot to be improved upon
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

well what else can i improve on without spending a fortune. Also my car was most likely on spray before i bought it. Theres a nitrous gauge in the car as well as cutouts in the hatch trunk carpet where the bottle used to sit. I thought maybe my car was setup for spray and sucks all motor with low compression pistons id have to open it up to find out. In your opinion what can i improve on. Some people have told me trickflow heads are ****ty if you think the same what would be a better option. I always hear gt40 but i think they are overated or maybe afr 165's
Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

tfs heads far exceed gt-40's and afr 165's.....whomever is telling you tfs sucks, is clueless....run from their advise
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

so what else would you suggest i do besides maybe a stage 2 trickflow cam that i was considering or some told me e303

Quick Reply: Mustang heads and full bolt ons Possibly not running like it should be HELP!