5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

SQUEALING serpentine belt!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:47 PM
92BULL1TT
1st Gear Member

Default SQUEALING serpentine belt!!! HELP!!!

I can't seem to find whats the deal with the stinking serpentine belt on my 5.0 squealing all the time. I'm running a Paxton blower (independent belt for the blower which is connected to the supplied crank mount pulley-mounts on top of the factory one) and I figured out that its not the problem. On the serpentine side everything is pretty much stock other than the AC being deleted. So...everytime I crank the Mustang the belt squeals but only for a second and it's fine. I put the car in gear and begin to give her a little gas and she starts screaming likes something terrible. It lasts for a couple of minutes down the road until the engine warms up and it's fine. However, every now and then when its warm it'll squeal (more so squeak) when I rev the engine a little or turn the wheel a certain way. I was thinking maybe the power steering was going out but wouldn't that be the case if it constantly squealed everytime I turned the wheel??? Everything seems to be fine with the steering. I tried a little belt dressing but it only seemed to make matters worse. I decided I would replace the belt even though the one I was running looked perfectly fine. I also decided to replace the tensioner pulley that appeared a little warped on the outer edges (it was the factory metal one). I noticed when replacing the belt that it was extremely hard to get it on and was forced to pry it on. I even got the Autozone worker I was buying the belt from to take a looky and he noticed the belt was on extremely tight. After replacing both the tensioner pulley and belt everything was good. It seemed that I had fixed the problem, no squeak - no squealing. Well, that lasted about 24 hrs, I crank her up this morning and we're back to square one. Nothing is more frustrating than not knowing what to do to make your poor kid get better. A guy suggest maybe putting the AC back on or putting some spacers on the underside of the alternator or something. He said the power steering pulley sat higher now making the tensioner pretty useless but if you look in the picture it looks to be doing its job pretty well. Although we did have to make a new hole to adjust the tensioner angle. I believe I see what he's talking about - something about the low angle up to the steering. Before it would have been a very steep angle. Does anyone have a clue how to help me!? I'm ALMOST to the point of just parking the dang thing and driving my truck. Thanks guys.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:10 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SQUEALING serpentine belt!!! HELP!!!

get level with it from the side and see if anything is out of aligment.

do you have anything dripping on your belt? my friend once spilled some antifreeze on his belt and it made it squeel...

i see you are running a dc controller: nice piece, eh?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:32 AM
lunchbox99
1st Gear Member

might try buying a belt that is one size bigger (longer) so that its not under so much tension?????
Old 09-29-2005, 03:08 PM
92BULL1TT
1st Gear Member

As you can see the belt tensioner is pretty much useless.... Im just wondering how other people fix this problem who take their AC out and move the power steering pump.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:36 AM
97vette
1st Gear Member

On my 87 I got an AC eliminator bracket from Summit Racing Equipment. Had the power steering in the stock location. That allowed the tensioner to work properly.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:08 PM
92BULL1TT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97vette

On my 87 I got an AC eliminator bracket from Summit Racing Equipment. Had the power steering in the stock location. That allowed the tensioner to work properly.
Do you have a link to it?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

here is a few. don't know if these are the ones 97vette meant....

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
Old 10-03-2005, 08:16 PM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

How much of your belt is wrapping around the alt. pulley now?
Good coverage? That tiny pulley needs to have a good deal of belt around it, like before the s/c.
I have the same issue but only during start up and one tiny squeak at that... sometimes.
I had to configure my pulleys different from what they suggested in the s/c manual to make it better... and I can't even use my tensioner anymore... no room.
I made and extra idler pulley to get more belt to wrap around the alt. pulley... right after it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7754/2239F96B4C334C388175910FBDCDFA92.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-25-2005, 02:29 AM
92BULL1TT
1st Gear Member

Well I ended up just having to bite the bullet and reinstall the AC. The tensior was maxed out and not applying any tension whatsoever to the belt. It hurts bc I'm normally doing stuff to aid it in going faster not the reverse... Make me feel better guys...
Old 10-25-2005, 08:15 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

take the compressor out and put in an eliminator kit. reduce weight and you still have a pulley. or go buy a new mod, that'll make you smile

Quick Reply: SQUEALING serpentine belt!!! HELP!!!