5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HEADS/BOLT ON MUSTANG FINALLY RUNNING RIGHT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Default HEADS/BOLT ON MUSTANG FINALLY RUNNING RIGHT!!!

To any of you first hearing about this or many of you that have read my old thread about my car not making the power it was making, the problem is solved and now it feels like a completely different car! My friend was going to be busy rebuilding motors so my other friend suggested i go to a place called mustang magic in long island NY. Probably one of the only mustang shops in my driving distance, about a 40 minute drive to the shop. The main owner Joe was the owner that built the kenne bell cobra thats on youtube with almost 5 million views. He knows my friends father so he called him and let him know that his friends son (me) needed some help. First thing was suggested that maybe my car was tuned on spray and needs a tune on all motor. He had one of his mechanics test drive my car. Right away after a few 3rd gear throttle punches and getting on it he was shaking his head (i had already told him the mods the car had ) he said the car is a stone (he meant the car goes no where) he said it drives like it has a filthy mass air flow and the distributor was off because the car has some trouble firing up sometimes, along with the TPS being out of wack and as well as the timing being off. This was all a matter of a 30 second drive and diagnosed that. Told me to bring the car back tomorrow and its gunna be a new car. Another man also named Joe worked on my car but did not drive it but checked all the issues and it was all the problems the guy that drove my car said it probably has. Cleaned up the mass air flow, the timing was 10 degrees off, and the distributor wasnt put on correctly or slightly off. The roads were unfortunately pretty wet due to the over night rain and snow fall. He was driving it and it was breaking loose in 3rd gear when jammed at about 25 mph. I forgot to add in the mechanic that drove my car the night before we should be blowing the tires off going through gears. So i thought ehh its wet out right and so did Joe he said we cant really tell the roads are wet. My friend reminded me that when the roads were wet i would punch it in 1st gear and i would not even break loose 1ST GEAR WET ROAD!!!! the car would start sliding out. So breaking loose in 3rd at 25 mph on a wet road we knew the car was running like it should. We also did 2 dyno pulls, 1st pull was 263.40 rwhp 302.12 rwtrq. Second pull was 267.40 rwhp 307.70 rwtrq. Going to test the car out tomorrow when the roads are dried up! I know those numbers are chump numbers to some of you guys but i still havent eve had fun with my car up to this point. Guys said the way my car was running i was probably losing up to 100 hp give or take. Cant wait to do the cam and dyno tune!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

lol wow friends son i meant Sons friend. Might be some typos and mistakes bear with me guys.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 AM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

It's kinda funny what timming and a MAF can do. Cleaned my MAF a few days ago, and my car is back to what I was used too! lol
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Good to hear you got it worked out.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

haha yes, just like the mechanic said If you added stuff to this car and it was still like that it would be like trying to add salt and pepper to ****. Doesn't matter how much salt and pepper you add its still gunna taste like **** hahaha.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

ill have some pics of the dyno graph and video of the second pull up soon. As soon as my friend sends me the video lol.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Awesome enjoy your stang !
Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

thank you! Im already getting a bit used to the power. Im really hoping the cam and tune will get me to atleast like 315 to the wheels. Everyone said the typical trickflow setup makes anywhere between 300-320 to the wheels,and with a tune maybe some more. Some guy on another post said i seem easily influenced or something like that. Its not that its the fact that i just hope for the best!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I think it depends on what trick flow componets you go with on getting into the 300-320 range. MM&FF did an article recently and they got 270 to the wheels with a 170cc TFS kit. With bigger heads, a more agressive stage 2 cam and a "R" series intake i'm sure 300-320 can be had. Heres link to the MM&FF article.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...r/viewall.html
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

yea im glad i made the 267,307 mark. We will have to see what the dyno spits out sometime next week!

Quick Reply: HEADS/BOLT ON MUSTANG FINALLY RUNNING RIGHT!!!