5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

first upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:54 AM
deezy13

Default first upgrades

what are the first upgrades on a stock 88 lx 5.0 that i should look into(its a daily driver) thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 07:06 AM
CobraR4
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: first upgrades

BBK Cold Air intake. Lets go with a Exhaust system, BBK Shorty Equal length headers with BBK X-pipe, and Flowmaster Cat-back. Basic tune up, Cap, rotor, plugs, wires ect. Chip, wheels and tires for looks, go with some CobraRs wrap them in like nitto 555Rs or something I donno. (17 inch wheels) Thats all I can think of, inless u wanna get into the big $$$ but a GT-40 Intake manifold ant bad, with Trottle body and MAF sensor, I donno there are so many aftermarket parts out theres it crazy.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

dont listen to that post.

first off you dont need a damm CAI. stock box flows alot better then most ppl think put in a K&N panel fitler, remove air silcener and if you can replace the tubing from the airbox to tb. thats the restriction not the box

personally i wouldnt go X pipe go with H. just sounds better. unless you like a raspy car then go X

you dont need nittos 555 tires, cobra R are played out

you dont need a tb yet, you dont need a maf since you dont have one

cobra you should of read his post carefully and see he is an 88 which out of 49 states doesnt have maf

ps...cobra dude your selling things ppl already have. and if someone was going to pay 70 for stock intake. i would sell mine for 50. no body wants stock ho parts unless they got a carbd motor or have a grandmarquis or even a f150
Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

before you do anything to the car you need to do a full tuneup on the car

here is what you need:

Plugs - Autolite #25 run very well in our cars
Wires - MSD Super Conductor or Taylor's bc they have the least resistance so bigger spark
Cap and Rotor - Accel or MSD sell a very good set
Fuel Filter - probably hasnt been changed and is resticting your fuel to the engine
PCV valve and screen - probably clogged and need replaced

First Mod i would say gears
Second Mod exhaust
Then work from there
Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanglx2002

before you do anything to the car you need to do a full tuneup on the car

here is what you need:

Plugs - Autolite #25 run very well in our cars
Wires - MSD Super Conductor or Taylor's bc they have the least resistance so bigger spark
Cap and Rotor - Accel or MSD sell a very good set
Fuel Filter - probably hasnt been changed and is resticting your fuel to the engine
PCV valve and screen - probably clogged and need replaced

First Mod i would say gears
Second Mod exhaust
Then work from there
I need to do a tune-up on my car......but, id go with what he said. tune up first, then, gears, then exhaust. and a cold-air intake may not be the greatest mod, but, after i put mine in, it felt more torquey in the lower rpm range, and also felt like it pulled harder at higher speeds too. not saying you need one, but, i could tell a diff. good luck
Old 10-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you do know that the only reason it feels stronger is cause the tubing. placing a filter in the fender has no advantage over teh stock box and K&N. yes its alittle louder but thats about it. the advantage is to the tubing. stock tubing has ripples in it creating an unsmooth air flow. once you replace that with a smoothed path for air thats where you gain

you dont always need gears, i would do exhaust first then worry about gears. i personally know a 308 geared car that i would put up against alot of stangs on here. boy can drive and thats the key
Old 10-02-2005, 12:58 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

you do know that the only reason it feels stronger is cause the tubing. placing a filter in the fender has no advantage over teh stock box and K&N. yes its alittle louder but thats about it. the advantage is to the tubing. stock tubing has ripples in it creating an unsmooth air flow. once you replace that with a smoothed path for air thats where you gain

you dont always need gears, i would do exhaust first then worry about gears. i personally know a 308 geared car that i would put up against alot of stangs on here. boy can drive and thats the key
yeah. very true. the tubing is key. metal cant "collapse"........doesnt collapse much, but, the suction of it does cause the rubber some collapsation(is that a word).........but, im with you on the gears, i got 3.08's in mine, and its got plenty of acceleration, with a stock 302; i just want more.