5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Foxbody 5.0 swap into New Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

i guess i hear what your trying to say babygt.. but honestly.. theres way too many other things id rather worry about. i appreciate you trying to enlighten and make sure people are aware of potential complications.. however, all the above (insurance fraud and state statute related) is not causing sleep deprivation. ive been pulled over when i had the s197 in my sig pic, and got cited/warned for MULTIPLE things ie, tail lights, tint, liscence cover, etc etc.. and then he also says, "and your exhaust is way louder than it should be.. but im not gunna write you for it.. just know what potential fines you could face..." blah blah blah... moral of the story to me.. its a risk i take, and take willingly.. i personally DGAflyingF about emissions.

and honestly im tired of writing and reading about it. cherio
Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I'm not arguing about emissions, screw em, my exhaust even spits out the side of my gt and I cut two cats out of my v6. I was just stating the reasons for the legal issues. The insurance thing I was trying to point out is just trying to say talk to your insurance company before hand. They might just say okay and make a note of it and your golden. They don't care about emissions either. Saves your but if you get in a jam. If your all for it go for it.

Something to consider if you do go through with it is whatever donor car you get if you go with a v6 try to find a manual car, that should have a t5 already. Another choice would be find a GT that had an engine blow out. Then your covered for insurance and as far as most people would ever know when they pop the hood is that it's a modified V8. You could prolly even keep close to the same exhaust as what came with the 4.6 and have a shop meet it with the headers from the 5.0

That covers you for insurance and everything.
Well everything but emissions, but I was just trying to help keep people aware of the laws if they choose to break them. The more you know about the laws the closer you can skirt them and potentially shoot through loopholes while they exist.

Last edited by BabyGT; 04-04-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Again show me the state statute or federal statute. If there isnt a statute on it then they cant do anything. You keep saying its illegal yet wont/cant prove your source.

And how is it fraud? its no different than doing a 5.0L swap into a 4cyl car. If he insures it without telling them it is a motor swap and something happens then he only gets a check for a v6 car and he loses out. Otherwise he can tell them and they adjust the rate and its insured for what it actually is.

It would be like me telling my insurance company that I want to insure my 4cyl for $25,000. They would adjust my premiums to reflect that and if something happened I would get $25,000. Is that Fraud cause they paid me WAAAAAYYYYYY more than the car is worth . No , thats what it was insured as.

Im sure if something happened to your roush they would only write a check for the value of a regular GT of the same year/condition unless you sat down and insured it as a specialty vehicle with an agreed upon value, cause afterall, if you run the vin its "just a mustang GT"

1) I have posted links before, as well as others. It's not hard to find if you use Google.
It's a federal law in regard to pollution control in all US states. Or show me a new catless mid pipe that is for sale and doesn't say "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" on it.

2) It's fraud b/c part of what you pay month to month is based on the size of the motor. Smaller motor often means smaller charges. You are stealing money from the company by lying.

3) "Stated Value" or "Agreed Value" is very common. You pay extra to cover the amount you are insured for. You actually made no point what so ever with that. But it leads to #4...

4) My Roush is covered as a Roush. It's an "Agreed Value" based on collector car status. I will get a check for a preset amount, and it took awhile to figure out the best price for the coverage I wanted. Talk to any Saleen/Roush guy and they will tell you that is common practice. I was not dumb enough to lie to my insurnace company. Right off the bat, they knew what I was purchasing.

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
So what are the chances of something ACTUALLY being done regarding the smog issue if they dont test for them? You get in an accident and find someone's car fails smog..... And?
Very good depending on the situation. I've had a front row seat to several who pulled the swap/lie with insurance and saw them get nailed for it. I had a buddy who was hit - cleary NOT hit fault, even in the write up from the LEO on the scene. In court, the guy who hit him proved my friend's car had illegal modifications done. Courts ruled the car was not street legal and became legally "at fault". His insurance said b/c of the illegal car on the street, they wouldn't honor his policy. He ended up having to pay for his car and the guy who hit him out of pocket. He was then also fined for driving without valid insurance.

I knew another guy (in Dallas) that swapped a 4.6L into his 3.8L. After about a year, his insurance agent found out the swap was done. They dropped him and billed him for the difference between the 4.6L coverage vs the 3.8L coverage over the life time of his policy (as they didn't know when the swap was done). When he refused to pay, they took him to court - and won. After that, he had a hard time getting coverage at all to drive.

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Again thats not how that works and it isnt fraud. Fraud would be insuring the car as either a 4cyl or cyl when it has a v8 in it and tthen trying to get the payout for the v8. If you insure the car by the vin and only take the payout for what it is insured as then it isnt fraud.
Covered in prior reply #2 (the whole payment based on engine size thing).

I just want it out there that it is a risk to run when you do illegal mods. People like to say they won't get caught, or it never happens. But it does. I have seen it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

babyGT.. thanks man. Ill definitely keep all this in mind when/if the day ever comes. suprised at the amount of feedback i got on this! lol